"So, you regret it?" Mary narrowed her eyebrows in a questioning manner, "Doing all of this for your freedom?"

Theodosia exhaled and shook her head as she averted her friend's eyes when opened hers, "That's the worst part... I don't think I do." She paused before asking quietly, "What do I even do now, Mary?"

Mary lightly bit her bottom lip and crossed her arms, "Well, what you want to do?"

Theodosia took in a long deep breath to ease herself. She truly wasn't expecting that turn of events and didn't take the time to think about the possibility of that happening either. "I need some time to think."

Mary simply nodded and they sat at a set of stones nearby, their backs turned to the blood pool as they watched the city slowly awakening, the sky changing colors bit by bit. And there they stood in pure silence. Mary allowed her friend to zone off into her thoughts, doesn't matter how morbid and guilty she knew they would be.

After a while Mary carefully asked, breaking the silence, "Weren't you supposed to meet up with Philip?"

Theodosia sighed and closed her eyes, feeling the breeze in her face while nodding her head, "Yes, I was..."

"And you are really gonna leave him torturing himself figuring out the worst scenario after you didn't show up?"

"I can't face him right now, okay?!" Theodosia shouted as she turned to face Mary, "How am I simply going to look him in the eye and-!" She stopped herself and looked away while shaking her head.

"Don't stress so much over that," Mary said and Theodosia chuckled in disbelief by what she heard.

"Wha- HOW DO YOU RECOMMEND I DO THAT?! Joseph must be dead by now and my entire future is on his brother's hands! He can either come after me and I end up in jail or will keep his mouth shut to keep his brother's dignity intact by being killed by a woman. How can I not stress about it?!"

"Because it is over your control," Mary sternly stated. "And don't act as if Philip is gonna judge you for what happened either, we all know he would already have dueled Alston if it wasn't for you. What is really bothering you?"

Theo huffed and looked away. She hesitated, but eventually responded, "... That I disappointed my mom."

Mary furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, "How would you even do that?"

"She was completely against any form of violence. She hated seeing men wasting their lives for selfish reasons. She despised duels. What would she even think if she knew her daughter killed a man in one?"

"She would be proud," Mary shrugged and Theo turned her body at her with wide eyes.

"How so?!" She shouted.

"She would see that her daughter is extremely strong and brave to fight for what she wants. To fight for love, doesn't matter how cringe it sounds," Theodosia rolled her eyes at her friend. "She would one hundred percent understand why you did what you did. It was your father who condemned you to a miserable future. You made your way out how you could, and I am sure the consequences of this are much better than the life that you were meant to live with Alston. And yeah, he left hanging by a thread, but that still doesn't mean he is dead, okay? And just think on the bright side, you would be doing society a favor by getting rid of him..." Theodosia stared at Mary coldly and she then added, "Okay, sorry, too soon."

Theo deeply sighed one last time before standing up, "I think I am good to go."

"You sure?" Mary cocked an eyebrow.

"Yeah." She replied brushing her skirt, "I can't delay facing my consequences for long."

"Okay then, let's go." Mary shrugged and joined her friend.