42 - "SHE'S HOT WHEN SHE'S CLEVER"

Start from the beginning

So as the students filed into Defense Against the Dark Arts, new greetings were made along with a few new couples, everyone much more unified through their struggle.

It was much easier to become friends when you all had the same thing to complain about.

"Now, now," Kegeckle called out from behind her desk, settling the room instantly with her loud voice. "Today we will be learning about hex deflection spells."

Hollis looked up from her novel, suddenly interested.

"Can anyone tell me what the inaction for this defensive spell is?" Kegeckle asked, scanning the room.

"Salvio hexia," Hollis called out, shutting the old, worn fabric cover of her thick book.

Kegeckle looked impressed at Hollis's knowledge.

"Five points to Slytherin, Miss Rosier. Might I ask if you also know the exception for when this spell does not work?" Kegeckle continued, curious to see how much her best student knew about this spell.

"The exception is when the caster is not making eye contact with their target, then the spell won't deflect major hexes as well. Eye contact doesn't really matter for smaller hexes, though," Hollis answered quickly.

A few murmurs went around the classroom.

"What are you planning on doing after Howagrts, Miss Rosier?" Kegeckle questioned her student that had an odd amount of knowledge on defensive magic.

Hollis glanced slightly at where Lucius, Roldolphus, and Theodore were sitting before answering her professor.

"An auror, miss," Hollis told Kegeckle, who smiled.

"I think that will suit you very well, Rosier."

The whispers that had started a few moments earlier increased.

A Rosier, an Auror?

After her own family, I suppose.

Maybe she just wants to be a spy in the ministry.

Hollis ignored these assumptions to the best of her ability. Sirius was watching Remus with a crooked smile. The black haired boy got out a scrap of yellow parchment and jotted something down quickly on it. The paper was folded neatly and thrown directly onto Remus's desk.

Remus quickly unfolded Sirius's note with agile fingers.

You have that look on your face, read Sirius's handwriting in black ink.

There was a slight rustling noise as Remus pulled out his quill as subtly as possible to reply. He set the paper on his lap and scrawled a quick response.

What look?

Formed back into a neat square, the parchment landed right back on Sirius's desk. With a sly grin, Sirius wrote his reply clearly so that Remus couldn't have any excuse about not being able to read it.

That 'she's hot when she's clever' look.

Remus turned slightly pink when he read Sirius's message.

"I don't ever look like that," Remus hissed at Sirius as he turned around in his seat slightly.

Sirius's grin got wider as he leaned forward to answer.

"It doesn't matter if you find being witty attractive, mate," Sirius whispered, enjoying making Remus uncomfortable.

"Is there something you would like to share with the whole class, boys?" Kegeckle boomed, making half the students turn and look at Sirius and Remus.

"No, miss!" Sirius said quickly, and Remus nodded along.

Unfortunately for them, Remus hadn't fully concealed the piece of parchment they had been passing back and forth fully under his hand. Kegecle noticed the note and grabbed it, despite Remus's protests.

"Professor, you might not want to read that," Sirius said nervously, while James had already started laughing.

"I will do whatever I want in my classroom, Mr. Black," Kegeckle reprimanded, unfolding the note.

Remus and Sirius both sunk in their seats as she began to read out loud.

"You have that look on your face," the professor started, and a few girls giggled. "What look?" Her eyes widened slightly as she read the next line over a few times before saying it out loud. "That 'she's hot when she's clever look."

James let out a long wolf whistle while Sirius and Remus both covered their faces with their hands. Marlene was holding on to the wooden edge of her seat to stay in it from laughter, while Peter was tearing up.

Hollis, meanwhile, who the note had obviously been about, was pinching the bridge of her nose and laughing simultaneously.

Another wave of giggles ripple through the classroom as Kegeckle pinned the note to the board, much to James's delight and Sirius's embarrassment.

"Take this as a lesson not to pass notes in my class, boys," Kegeckle scolded, but the whole class could tell that she was trying to hide her amusement.

For the rest of the lesson, Hollis was trying to figure out why Remus looking at her like that made her feel so damn happy.

rrs yall know, but this is the trademark, classic b+c chapter

1.3k words