The Family Disease [BrennanTaulbee] {AncientWaters}

Start bij het begin

I didn't know where he was though, which worried me. He could be anywhere. He was mentally unstable most of the time, and it caused me tons of stress as to where he was.

I was scared he was going to hurt himself.

I knew that if he had the chance that he would do it. I ran into Denny in the hall, and at the same time we asked:

"Have you seen Brennan?"

"No, that's why I'm asking you." we both said, once again at the same time.

The drummer pushed his hands through his dark hair, his hands opening and closing nervously. He was freaking out, and so was I. If Denny didn't know where he was, then no one would know.

"Where would he go?" I asked, pushing my hands through my own blonde hair, my green irises darting around the room.

Denny looked at me for a second. "That's the thing, Mel. He texted me last night saying he was gonna go cool off. That he was just gonna get some drinks, go chill out. But I don't know where he went or if he was even being truthful or not. We need to find him." he said, his voice wavering.

He turned away from me, but I knew he was crying. He was worried. I was worried. I was so scared about Brennan.

I left Denny to himself, tugging on some warm clothes and heading outside into the cold winter air.

I looked around, moving down sidewalks and looking around corners.

Surprisingly, it didn't take me long to find him. He was in the exact place I thought he'd never be.

He was huddled against the side of the bar nearby, his head between his knees and one hand clutching a paper bag that held probably alcohol.

I approached him slowly. I didn't know if he was drunk or even awake.

"Brennan?" I called out. He didn't react. I moved closer, and he shifted, his dark hair falling over his face. I moved even closer, sliding against the side of the wall, sitting down beside him.

He didn't react to me, but I knew he was awake because of the flinching of his fingers.

I moved my hand under his chin, moving his head so he was looking at me. He looked horrible.

He was bleeding from one of the piercings in his nose, his lip was swollen, and one of his eyes was swelling as well.

"B-Brennan?" I asked, some tears coming to my green irises.

"I'm sorry, Mel..." he said simply. I swallowed, running my hand through his dark hair for a moment.

I stood, helping him stand as well. He looked even paler than he usually did. He just looked horrible.

I helped him back to our apartment, and Denny was waiting, running towards us when he found us.

Denny looked ecstatic at first, then regardless of Brennan's injuries, gave the vocalist a slap across his face.

I stared at him shocked, but I knew he had a reason for it.

"Don't you ever do that again, you dumbass! Do you know how goddamn worried I was about you? Did you even think about your girlfriend?!" he shouted, and Brennan sighed.

"I'm sorry..." he said quietly, and I moved him away, bringing him to clean him up.

I talked to him about it for a while, cleaning up his bleeding nose and busted lip. He told me he'd been beat up when he had stumbled around town drunkenly, and it took all I had not to slap him in the face for it.

But he explained everything about him and his parents to me, even though I already knew. I just let him talk.

He cried a little, and I let him. His eyes became cold, angry, and sad all at one time. And when I finished, he rested his head in the crook of my neck, letting himself silently cry it out until he fell asleep this time.

****

I woke up once again in Brennan's arms, his tears dry and his body no longer cold or rigid. He was relaxed, and it made me smile.

He finally trusted me with himself.

He was finally opening up to me.

[Ten Years Later]

"Happy Birthday!" we all cried, my angel, my perfect daughter, sitting at the table.

Her father, the lovely Brennan Taulbee, sat beside me, genuinely smiling and laughing with other parents and friends.

It makes me smile.

He's come to peace with everything once again.

He's happy.

He's normal.

He no longer has to carry his family disease.