(38) Sister Sister

Start from the beginning

"If that were true... without an anchor, you'd be assimilating into this world." Magnus states in bewilderment, and I exhale tiredly, nodding along in agreement.

"Believe me, we are trying to fight it. Which is part of why we need your help." I explain, before slamming the note pad down in front of Magnus, a small and hopeful smile coming onto my face as I see the recognition and alarm within his eyes.

The demons I sketched were enough for him to believe us.

"In our dimension, Shadowhunter's still battle demons. And now there is something so much worse. We need your magic to help stop it." Clary says, standing up, a solemn and desperate look on her face, but despite this Magnus still shakes his head fervently, standing up and walking over to the large glass terrace door, looking out.

"I can't help you. My magic's gone dormant." He sighs, looking back sadly at us both, a mixture of shame and remorse in his eyes.

"Well wake it the fuck up, we don't have time. We need you Magnus, please" I plead, a frustrated yet sorrowful frown gracing my face, and by the conflict within his eyes and then the small nod of his head, I can tell he is willing to help us.

Clary and I smile at each other, relieved that we could convince him.

We both knew that we didn't have long left.

We watch as Magnus rushes over to his cabinets, pulling out jars full of leaves and powders, probably magic juices to help get him working again.

I never thought I would see the day where Magnus Bane was having performance issues.

As he mixes together the ingredients and forms his concoction, Clary and I look around his apartment, glancing over the large books and antiquities that he had laying around.

"This better work" Magnus mumbles, and as we glance in his direction, we see him lift the cup to his lips, before tipping the liquid back, grimacing in disgust afterwards.

That looked gross.

"What is that?" Clary asks, frowning at Magnus's shiver from the liquid.

"Hopefully kickstart my magic" He mutters, and as we wait, we notice that he looked the same, and by his irritated expression, I could tell he probably didn't feel any affects.

"This isn't working." Magnus laments, walking over to Clary and I, seemingly defeated "This is the longest I've ever abstained. From a lot of things." He grumbles, chuckling humourlessly to himself, clearly struggling with more than one battle.

"Magnus, we just have to find the Portal" I say, knowing that we just didn't have the time to work on this right now.

"Even if my magic was working, I'd still need an energy signature of some kind to track it." He states, his gaze expectantly on Clary and I, and as he does, I quickly realise exactly what we need.

"Maybe we try something different." I say smirking, before reaching down to my necklace, removing the red shard from the chain and handing it to Magnus. "I don't know how this came into this dimension with me." I witter, shrugging.

"Because it's of this dimension." He exclaims, murmuring, a look of astonishment on his face, "It belongs here." As Magnus touches the shard as I hold it, it suddenly electrifies us both, a magnetic surge of energy rippling through us, igniting every cell and atom within our bodies.

"Oh, now that's what I'm talking about! We have lift off. " Magnus exclaims smiling brightly, and Clary and I laugh, thankful something was working in our favour. "The energy is very faint. It's been dormant for a long time. Like me. Let's see if we can wake it up."