So far they see the signs of mercury injection sights on Sophia's lower forearm and near her neck. It made me cringe just remembering the photos they showed Valentina and I from the MRI.

I had forced Valentina to go home because she still had two other babies to take care of and tomorrow was a really important day.

She couldn't hold off anymore on filing for custody because of the possibility of Parker's family coming forward still.

The doctor also eventually came in before Valentina left and let us know that they have already reported back to Detective Kyles. He said he should be in contact with us by tomorrow.

Sophia's doctor explained what type of medication she was on and the possible outcome of everything. That part crushed everyone in the room but it was our reality. We had to be prepared for the worse just in case.

But Valentina and I did our best to only speak positively afterwards to Sophia.

She still would go off worrying about what the doctor said and it would just cause all of us to cry together. I didn't blame her for being scared for her life.

Not a single one of us, including the doctor could give her a for sure answer on whether or not she would recover just fine. I would be freaking out too.

"Mama.." Sophia's voice croaked out next to me as she moved her head from my chest rubbing her eyes.

"Hey sleepy girl.. it's late, you should be asleep still. What's wrong?" I asked moving back to get a good look at her.

"I wanna go home," she whined almost in a cry.

I coddled Sophia in my arms again to comfort her and stroked her hair. "I know Soph. But you can't leave just yet baby, soon though. We just gotta push through these next few weeks and then you'll be back in your own bed in no time." I said kissing the top of her head.

I was able to take a leave of absence from my job until Sophia could come home.

By then I'd have to get someone to help me watch over her as she recovered at home. I couldn't stay away from job completely, I needed the money.

My job was what kept a roof over not only mine but Addie and Sophia's head too.

Sophia went silent for a minute or two and I thought she had fallen asleep already. But she shifted around in my arms and looked up at me with big eyes.

"Mama?"

"Hmm?" I hummed acknowledging my new name.

"Do you think I won't make it?"

My heart stopped for a split second and I stared at her trying my hardest not to break down again. I had high hopes for her recovery but that didn't mean I wasn't worried or scared. This is a serious situation.

"Sophia, I believe that deep down in my heart that you will be fine. So does everyone else.. there is nothing to worry about because the doctors and nurses are doing everything they can to help you sweetheart. I don't want you laying here and thinking about that all the time okay?"

Sophia nodded her head at me with sad eyes.

"Okay. I'm just scared because, everyone thought I would be fine during my tests but then the doctor ended up saying I'm sick." She spoke quietly looking to me for answers.

My heart continued to ache for her. Everything she said was true. We had filled Sophia's head with false hope the entire time and it just lead to disappointment.

But now.. this was death we were talking about. I just couldn't look at this innocent and sweet eleven year old child and tell her right to her face that she could die within the coming days or months.