thirty two

Evie's view:

Valentina paced back and forth in the waiting room as I sat there watching her.

Eventually she'd get tired and sit with me. The nurse had taken Sophia back to get her settled in her room. Sadly, we weren't allowed back there just yet to see her.

My leg bounced repeatedly though showing off how nervous I was. I hate hospitals.

They may be the one place to help save your life but they were also anxiety inducing for me. Every time I stepped foot inside one I could feel my chest tighten and felt a little light headed.

"Miss Love and Miss Clair, you may come back now." Erin, Sophia's nurse said coming out offering a comforting smile.

I stood from my chair and laced my fingers with Valentina's as we walked behind Erin to where Sophia's room was.

The nurse knocked twice and opened the door where we saw Sophia in her little hospital gown already hooked up to an IV.

Sophia put on her brave face trying to hide the fact that she had cried earlier.

"She did very well, only a few tears." Erin whispered to us with a wink walking over to the side station.

I smiled softly and approached one side of Sophia's bed while Valentina went to other side, sitting on the edge of it.

"I did good mommy. See.." Sophia showed Valentina the IV that was on top of her hand.

Valentina nodded glancing at the slightly bruised hand and kissed her temple gently. "You're very brave, my love. How do you feel?"

"A little tired.. but nurse Erin said the medicine might do that to me so it's okay." Sophia said shrugging and laying back in her bed.

I glanced over at Erin seeing her watching us and she smiled kindly at me. I returned the smile thankful for her being such a good nurse so far.

"Yeah, she might sleep for a bit in a little while. But for now we gave her a small dose of neostigmine which will help with some of the weakness she said she's been feeling in her arm." Erin said stepping closer with her hands in her pockets.

"Weakness..?" I said turning back to Sophia. "Soph you never told me anything about your arm."

"It didn't hurt though, it just felt a little funny." Sophia replied back to me.

"If I may.." Erin interrupted, "in her defense she is only eleven and to a child weakness in their body parts can be mistaken for your arm falling asleep."

I nodded sighing and stroked some of Sophia's hair away from her face.

This was going to be a long journey.

. . .

12:30 am

After a long push to get Valentina to go home to the twins, I finally was able to lay down and shut my eyes for a bit until I woke up to Sophia vomiting.

I had buzzed for the nurse to come in and they assessed the situation, one of them letting me know it was a good sign.

Their intent was to make Sophia throw up at least once to force out any still visible sign of mercury that hasn't been dissolved or digested.

Now I was laying here in bed with Sophia as she snuggled into me sleeping again.

I was exhausted already and we were not even really one day into Sophia's treatment. Their expected stay for her was at least a month and then she'd have to return for weekly appointments, then eventually dialysis.