34. Explain

Bokuto carefully sat up and rubbed his eyes. He got out of bed, making sure Akaashi was still asleep, before going into Emiko's room and picking her up. "Hey... why're you so fussy? I just got back..."

"Daddy!"

"That's me." Bokuto mumbled. He rocked her. "Shhhh, shhhh you'll wake Mama up..."

Emiko held onto him, sniffling.

"There we go..." He put her back and went back to bed. Akaashi stirred for a moment, waking up.

"What happened?"

"She got fussy." Bokuto whispered. He snuggled up against Akaashi. "She must not enjoy having me back..."

"She begged for you. Constantly." Akaashi turned around and held on. "We needa talk later..."

"Mhmm." Bokuto wrapped his legs around Akaashi and yawned. "Love you."

"Love you too." Akaashi whispered.

****

Bokuto stared at Akaashi, who had curled up in his lap and was sleeping peacefully. He ran his fingers through his hair carefully. "I'm so sorry..."

"Mm." Akaashi shifted. He moved his arms away from himself and yawned. "Hi..."

"Hi there."

Akaashi sat up. "Is Emiko okay?"

"I took her to the daycare while you were asleep."

"Ah okay. Thanks."

"No problem." He held Akaashi close, nuzzling at his neck. He didn't smell too much like salt water.

Akaashi hummed. He turned his head and kissed his temple. "Can you explain now?"

"Mhmm." Bokuto looked at the coffee table in front of him. He sighed. "So... um... just know that none of this is your fault. Like at all."

"Okay then..."

"So after you left for work I left and went to the gym to see if I could feel better from that. It didn't really make me feel better and since I'd left so early. I forgot to take my medicine and all those really bad thoughts came..." He paused. Akaashi was gently running his fingers over his collar bone.

"Sorry I'll stop." He started to pull his hand away.

"No, no it's okay."

"Okay." Akaashi returned to his movements.

"Right so... I got my pocket knife out and just... Cut. I hoped it was going to work. It almost did too..."

Akaashi looked down and looked at the marks. They looked scary. Like they'd hurt so much.

"I did it in my car and someone found me."

Bokuto shifted.

"So I got taken to the hospital and they wouldn't let me out no matter how much I asked and then Emmy's birthday came and I got more upset so they thought I was still dangerous. So I got held in longer. Apparently if I have a mood swing and look upset they keep me longer..."

"That sounds awful."

"It was. They have sucky food too. It was weird. I didn't like it."

"Hm. Maybe I'll make you something to eat."

"Nah I can do it. Besides I left you. That was an asshole move."

"Now that you explained... it kind of makes sense. But why did the thoughts come?"

Bokuto took a deep breath. "I made you cry. One of the big things that I made a rule to myself before I mated you was to never ever make you cry. When I made you cry I remembered how happy you were when I'd mated you... it just made me upset that I had broken my promise. I'm supposed to protect you."

Akaashi took a deep breath. "Right. Okay. Wow. Thank you for telling me."

"Mhmm..."

Akaashi turned and just held Bokuto's face in his hands, staring into his eyes. "You love me too much."

Bokuto smiled. "Impossible."

"It's possible."

"No way. You deserve all the love in the world." Bokuto kissed the bridge of his nose. "It's my job to give it to you. It always has been and always will be. Okay?"

Akaashi tilted his head. "So do you."

"I dunno."

"Well I do. I know for sure." He kissed Bokuto gently.

Neither one of them really did actual kisses a lot but when they did it meant something. When one of them came home after a long day those kisses meant "welcome back, I love you". Morning kisses when waking up usually meant "nice to seen you too". It really just depended on the time and scenario.

Akaashi bent slightly and sniffed of Bokuto. His scent was altered slightly but was going back.

Bokuto nudged him slightly before leaning to the side, holding him close. "I love you..."

"I love you too."

"I still feel so bad that I left like that."

Akaashi patted his cheek. "Don't worry."

"I also feel bad for that person who found me cause he had a little girl with him." Bokuto furrowed his brows. "There was blood everywhere. I scared the shit out of him."

"You met him?"

"Nope. A nurse told me."

"They're not supposed to do that."

"Again, the hospital sucks. But I do wanna meet him... he's the reason I can see you guys."

Akaashi nodded. "We'll figure it out."

Bokuto nodded.

****

Bokuto turned and saw Emiko stumbling around in the living room. He frowned. "You can walk more now...?"

He walked over and leaned down.

"Emmy."

Emiko screamed. She reached around, confused and scared.

Bokuto touched one of her hands. "Hey there sweetheart. It's Daddy."

"Daddy!" She turned, giggling.

Bokuto hefted her up and kissed her head. "Hi there."

Emiko grabbed his hair, trying to get a feel of what he looked like.

Bokuto hummed. "Are you happy to see me?" He looked around. "Hm... maybe I should clean up so mama's not so stressed when he comes home. But I need to distract you. Huh..."

Bokuto set her on the couch and made a sort of barrier with pillows and blankets and gave her a rattle.

"That should work." He stood back up and went into the kitchen to start. Soon after Emiko started crying, not liking that she was by herself. "Ah, ah I'm coming. Hang on." Bokuto rushed back and got her before gently taking her and putting her in the portable bassinet.

Emiko stayed there, content as Bokuto washed dishes.