"Are you sure?" He'd asked. "Maybe I should introduce myself. I'm Erwin Smith." He stuck his hand out again. She shook it briefly before shoving her hand back into her jacket pocket.

"I'm Angharad." She glanced down to her feet before meeting his eyes again.

"'Much loved'" He said.

"Hmm?" She was shocked.

"Your name. It means 'much loved.'"

"Yes." She smiled at him now. "Yes, it does! How did you know that?"

"I read a lot of books as a child. And my father was a teacher." He looked a little sad now. As if the topic of her name had suddenly brought up unhappy memories. It was in this moment, Hanji chose to appear at her side.

"Hey, where do you want to sit?" She'd asked.

"Erwin has actually invited is to sit with him and his friends." She looked to her best friend before turning back to the taller man before her.

"That sounds like fun!" Hanji had exclaimed. She was always excited to meet new people. "Let's go!" And with that she was already walking towards the table in the back corner. Erwin smiled down at Angharad again before putting his arm out in front of his as if to say, "After you." She smiled at him briefly as she passed by and hid behind her bangs, desperately trying to conceal the pink tint that had spread across her cheeks.

And now here she was, just a few days away from graduation. A few days away from picking which regiment they would all join, and she reveled in the nostalgic feelings. They had all matured in their time training together. They'd formed lifelong friendships together, they had inside jokes, and they all liked to push each other's buttons. Hanji especially loved to push her buttons about a certain tall, blonde male. Her feelings for him were still there, but she would never admit that to Hanji. She felt clearer about him now, her head felt less fuzzy around him. And she loved talking with him about anything. She loved how they shared similar passions, and a will to fight for humanity.

And besides, he liked Marie. And she would respect that. The only problem was that Marie liked Nile. So, most nights, after their talk, Angharad would often sit with him on the steps outside the mess hall before their nightly curfew. They wouldn't always speak, but the times they did, she felt this was where she got to see the real Erwin Smith.

This was also where he'd told her about his father's theory. The very same one Erwin said had gotten him killed. She was shocked, it was the first time anyone had mentioned even a smidge of something beyond the walls, of her land of origin. She thought of her brother, whom she missed dearly, and her nephew, Zeke. I miss you guys so much. She sighed and tried to ignore the sting of tears.

"What would you do if your father's theory was proven true?" She asked the question before she could stop herself. Erwin turned away from looking up at the stars to look down at her. He sighed, and she could see his shoulders relax slightly.

"I don't know, to be honest." He looked back up at the stars. "But I imagine it finally bringing peace to humanity." It was quiet between them for a moment, and Ang could tell he wanted to say something else. "Thank you for not calling me crazy." She looked at his profile before smiling at him again. Leaning over, she pressed a kiss to his shoulder before leaning her head on the same spot. No more words needed to be spoken, her silent gesture was enough to put his mind at ease for just a few moments. Ang felt the weight of his head leaning against the top of hers. She was glad he couldn't see the blush that had dusted across her face.

They sat there in content silence, looking up at the stars, until the curfew bell rang out into the dark.

~

Well I'll be damned. Erwin was right.

She stood four spots from the right in line. She had placed not only in the top ten, but she had placed 4th overall, making Erwin's prediction a year ago confirmed. Erwin, Mike, and Hanji stood to her left in the same stance as she, each cadet placing in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. Hands behind their back, shoulders held high and determined expressions on their faces.

"Before you stand the top ten cadets. Only these brave soldiers have the option of joining the elite Military Police Brigade and have the honor of serving his Majesty, the King!" Commander Keith Shadis stood on the stage in front of them. "Those of you who do not wish to join the Survey Corps may leave and go back to their barracks. An Officer will be around shortly to give you further information." He gazed out into the sea of faces staring back at him with rapt attention. "Those of you that are joining my team of soldiers adventuring beyond the Walls should stay standing where they are."

So many people moved around her that they all seemed to blend together. She knew Rico and Nile's decision. They'd come out with their decisions two days ago. Nile, having placed 5th overall, was choosing to join the Military Police. And he was marrying Marie. He'd proposed to her just a month ago, claiming that they were in love and he was ready to take it a step further by having her move in with him in Wall Sina.

Rico chose to join the Garrison. She had placed 7th, one spot below Nanaba at 6th. She didn't want to live in the interior, but she also felt she wasn't brave enough to face titans any further than their front porch.

Angharad could now hear only silence as she and 5 others were left standing behind. Commander Shadis stared down his new recruits.

"As of this moment, you are now a member of the Survey Corps in the fight for humanity! This is a real salute!" Angharad slammed her fist over her heart as she shouted with her fellow soldiers. "At ease, soldiers." Commander Shadis pointed to the side of the stage. "Over here you will be given your new uniforms. Tomorrow you will move into HQ and begin your service to the Scout Regiment. I will see you all tomorrow morning."

Ang relaxed as she looked to her left. Hanji squealed and wrapped her arms around her shoulders before jumping up and down. "Oh, Ang! We did it! Now we'll finally get to see what the other side of the Walls look like!" She gasped before her eye lit up again. "Maybe I'll finally get to study a titan!" Ang pushed her off as she turned to the other people who stood with them. She noticed a smaller guy standing off to the side, but still facing them.

"Hey, Moblit. Right?" She stuck her hand out for him to shake. She knew him from their strategies class, he sat in the front and he asked a lot of the same questions that she had. Moblit shook her hand nervously.

"Ah, yea. That's me." He was blushing. Mike and Erwin each gave him a handshake as they introduced themselves. Hanji walked over and wrapped her arms around Moblit's shoulders, hanging off of him very dramatically.

"Moblit here has been amazing help with my experiments!" Hanji exclaimed. She patted his shoulders as she smiled brightly. "He and I became friends not long ago. We often competed in our engineering class. Apparently, he's been wanting to join the Scouts since he was a teenager."

"Well, I look forward to serving with you." Ang reached out to shake his hand firmer this time. She smiled at the rest of the group before beginning to walk backwards. "Well, I don't know about you guys, but I have a green cloak that's got my name on it." And with that she swung around to walk over to the side of the stage. She could hear them laugh and begin to follow after her to collect their uniforms.

Angharad smiled to herself. Now the real fun begins.