To Break a Viola

Forsythia

There was an explosion, but that is the only part that I remember

There was an explosion, but that is the only part that I remember. I don't remember when I was shoved to the floor, when my brother and father shifted into their beat forms and finally I don't know when Clem had raced to my side to defend me.

"I am getting you out of here," Clem shielded me as I held my viola in a death grip, as if my viola would be any threat to the intruders who wielded swords.

"No! The children!" I shouted, but was immediate silenced when Clem shoved me under one of the tables. Air had completely escaped my lungs as horror gripped my body as I watched Clem fight off two lesser Fae who had horns that were far scarier than the swords they wielded. I had seen Clem and my brother spar ever since I was a little girl. I had always enjoyed their sparing, but this...this I didn't not enjoy. This was horrific.

I tightened my grip around my viola's neck, but before I could lunge at one of the attackers I felt a gentle tug on my shoulder. Fear gripped me for a second before I saw the familiar face who was barely hidden behind a chair, ready to attack.

Ceridwen didn't jump towards the men who were attacking Clem, he effortlessly launched towards the lesser Fae intruders. I looked away, remaining hidden under the table, only opening my eyes when I heard Clem's voice again.

"I had that under control," Clem spat towards Ceridwen who quickly sassed back, "Really is that why those lower Fae were about to kill you and Fors was debating on coming out of safety wielding her viola."

Their childish bickering immediately ended as I crawled out from underneath the table.

"Get her to safety," Ceridwen shouted in Clem's direction before heading down the hall, chasing out the retreating invaders.

"You're not my commander," Clem shouted before he guided me down an opposite hall.

Once we were alone, Clem turned to me, a panic I had never seen before written all over his face.

"Are you okay? Hurt? Injured? Did that bat-" I cut him off before he could continue his frantic rambling.

"I'm okay Clem. Where are we heading?"

He nodded as I spoke, frantically looking me over as if he doubted me.

"A room where you will be safe. It hasn't been used for at least 100 years so no one will come looking for you, and if they do...I will introduce them to my blade," I nodded as he continued to pull me towards the room I knew he was talking about. It was somewhat larger than a storage closet, but was filled with things that hadn't been used in ages. I couldn't help but wonder if the two of us would fit in the closet. Had he intended for me to hide behind the old furniture and paintings?