Dirtbag's Lucky Day

Zee's cell phone rang early the next morning. "Good morning, beautiful," Jack's deep voice greeted her when she answered. "Hi Jack," Zee's smile came through her words.

'I'm going to spend the day at the beach, want to join me? I packed us a picnic lunch."

"A picnic on the beach sounds perfect,"

"How 'bout I pick you up?"

"Sure," Zee replied and gave him the address.

"See ya' in about an hour?" Jack asked

"That's fine, see you soon," Zee ended the call, feeling giddy anticipation, and went to get showered and dressed. She peeked in Magen's room and saw that the little girl wasn't in there, but her bed was neatly made.

Zee walked downstairs to see that Magen was in the kitchen with Emma.

"Good morning," Zee said, giving each of them a hug before going to get a cup of coffee. Emma walked up next to her. Zee looked over her shoulder to where Magen was eating a bagel and watching birds out the window.

"How is she doing?" Zee asked in a near whisper, meant for only Emma to hear.

"She seems sad, but I am doing my best to keep her distracted. She likes to help me in the kitchen."

"I should get her enrolled in school," Zee replied.

"That reminds me, your uncle said to tell you that we should say that Magen is your niece--the adopted child of your sister Aysha."

Zee bristled at the mention of Aysha's name. Emma saw it and hurried to say, "It is a likely cover story. Your uncle is getting papers created for Magen; they will be ready by Monday."

Zee nodded. "That's good."

"Do you want some eggs or a bagel?"

Zee shook her head. "Jack is picking me up in an hour to go to the beach, we'll probably get something to eat there."

"Can I go?" Magen appeared suddenly in front of Zee, with a hopeful and pleading look on her adorable face.

"No, sweetie, I'm sorry. I can't take you with me on a date..."

"I don't want you to go!" Magen started crying and threw her arms around Zee's knees.

"Why not?"

"Something bad might happen to you."

"Magen, I promise nothing bad is going to happen to me. I am going to be with Jack, and he is a nice man..."

"Please let me go with you!"

"Maybe next time."

At this Magen fell into a full-on meltdown and curled into a sobbing ball on the floor.

Zee threw up her hands and looked at Emma for help.

"Why won't you take her with you? She is a little girl and she would enjoy a day at the beach, I'm sure."

"That isn't helping! I can't reward this behavior each time!"

"Don't you yell at me, young lady!" Emma snapped, waving the spatula in her hand threateningly. "I practically raised since you came here..."

"If you hit me with that, I'm going to shove it up your..."

Several things happened at once.

Magen jumped up and grabbed Zee around the waist, pleading, "Please don't fight!"

Jack poked his head around the corner cautiously, "The door was unlocked, I rang the bell, now I see why no one heard it. Should I call 911?"

"Yes!" Magen wailed, drawing out the word.