XXII - Another Life

She was a study. An anomaly I couldn't decipher. Seeing an engine with a face seemed ordinary to her. There was no awe, confusion, bewilderment or anxiety in her face. My suspicions began to confirm themselves.

"It's been years," Anne smiled at Duck, "I'm sorry I can't visit everyone, every time."

"No worries at all!" Duck chortled, "It's a big island, and you're only one person. I'm happy you still come at all."

She placed down a bag I'd failed to notice. I couldn't make out what was inside. She must've stopped to collect something, but what?

"Is this your beloved?" Duck turned his attention back to me, "Or a relative? I'm flattered that they seem mighty interested in the railway after all these years. My apologies for the line being in such a state."

"Neither," Anne shook her head, "I was just helping a stranger in need."

She looked up at the sky. "Speaking of, as I lost time doing that, we better get going to our overnight accommodation."

I blinked. Was there somewhere still operational, or inhabited, on the island after all?

The sky had started to dim. I'd lost back track of time. Parts of the day were blacked out in my memory. It was the best to listen to her. "Thank you for your time," I gave Duck a light bow, "I'm sorry I can't stay longer."

"Any visitation is a gift," the Pannier smiled.

Anne stepped forward and helped me shut the door. She eyed the vandalised lock and handle. "I'm not going to have time to fix that while I'm here." Her eyebrow ascended as she looked at me. "Have you been busting locks all over the island?"

"I... er..." Guilt tried to drag the truth onto my tongue, but it tied. "Yes. I can fill you in on what I've done when we get to... wherever we're staying."

Anne nodded, face serious, before helping my fumbling form back towards the Defender She scooped the bag up as she did.

We drove further inland, beyond my knowledge of the Island's inner roads. "Where are we heading?" I asked after a good amount of time in the car.

"Towards Ulfstead," Anne answered, eyes not breaking from the road, "If you're curious, the castle and estate should be coming up on our right."

Right on cue, I spotted the rocky mound atop which sat that ancient settlement. Bushes and trees had grown atop the plateau, obstructing the lower portions from view. But behind the top of the treeline, a handful of battle tower remnants jutted up at the belly of the orange haze laying above. I wondered if the estate bared any resemblance to what had appeared in the show. A railway museum and dinosaur park. It seemed unlikely.

"What did the Earl do with the land?" I asked anyway.

"I'm not sure," she replied, "I've not been up there."

"You never got curious?"

"It was his business," she laboured the point, "None of mine."

I took the hint. My gut told me she was Sudrian. She held interest in my business here...

As we approached Ulfstead, we turned left onto a dirt road. Grass and weeds had overtaken much of the gravel, but the tyres still crunched along the trail. Before I could question the detour, a pair of large, rustic gates twisted upward and blocked our path. Behind it was one of the largest stately homes I'd ever seen.

"Wait here this time," Anne said to me as she got out.

I sat and watched as she unlatched the gates and pushed them open, hinges squealing in protest. Climbing back in the car, Anne didn't clip up her seat belt. "Remind me to oil those before we leave, or they might not open next year."