Epiphany at the ball II

Start from the beginning

"Final warning. Lay another finger on me and I'll-" the voice was cut off.

"You'll what? Cry? Scream? Call for help? We are at the farthest restroom, no one comes here. So stop joking around and just come have a dance with me!" The other said again.

"Quit following me- this is literally the girls restroom," Adrien heard a voice say more clearly now. And he was finally close enough to know who it was. With a sudden adrenaline rush, he leapt forward and turned the corner to find a resentful Marinette and a male student at the opposing end of the hall.

"Marinette!" He called out, his voice travelling down the hall to the girl and the other student. Adrien began running forward, making his way to the grand entrance of the restrooms down the hall. 

"Oooh~ What's this? Already got a partner do we?" the student said cockily, shaking his head and turning back to Marinette. She steadily backed up further into the girls restroom entrance, but the ignorant student pressed on. The moment he did so, Adrein felt his own blood boil and began sprinting the rest of the way to the restroom, his foot steps echoing in the empty all. When he arrived at the entrance, he reached his hand out towards the boy, unable to see Marinette due to the students back being in the way.

"Huh? Dude what are you doi-" the student was cut off rather aggressively when Adrien reached his shirt and yanked on the back of the collar. The student let out a choke as Adrien dangled him there in his hand. 

"Listen, buddy," Adrien gritted, leaning in to the students face. "I don't know who taught you about manners," he paused again glancing at the rather startled Marinette and back to the boy. "But when a girl says no," he leaned in closer, inches from the boys face. "She means no." Adrien snarled and let go of the student, who collapsed to the ground in fright, then quickly jumped up off his feet and scrambled away. 

Marinette's eyes widened, Chat- Adrien, he had come to save her. It was in this moment she had never felt closer with her partner. Not like she needed saving, she figured she was perfectly capable of keeping an idiot away. Adrien watched the boy continue to run down the hall, content once he turned the corner out of sight. 

"Mari, are you alright?" he whirled to face the girl with the bluebell eyes who was completely frozen at the sight of him. Adrien had the look of determination shining in his emerald green eyes. There were strong hints of anger, worry, and sadness all mixed into one emotion on his face. His eyebrows were furrowed and he was biting his lip in frustration, but his eyes became filled with warmth and concern. It became clear to Marinette that this was her faithful partner, Chat Noir. She was really seeing Chat's side come pouring out of the furious Adrien.

Marinette placed her hands over her red, flushed cheeks, then over her quick beating heart, seeking something she didn't have the strength to confirm herself.

"Marinette?" Adrien said again in the silence.

What's going on? Marinette thought to herself. I thought that- no. It can't be. I can't possibly-

"He didn't do anything to you did he?" Adrien's voice raised in concern as he quickly gripped Marinette by the shoulders.

"No, no of course not, I'm fine," she replied quickly looking up from the floor to meet his gaze. But when she looked up, her heart skipped a beat and she found herself unsure of how to react. Adrien had tears forming in his eyes, some escaping and caressing down his face. He moved his hands from Marinette's shoulders to her face, cupping her cheeks, his own face inches from hers. He looked deep into her eyes, searching for some kind of lie or defence, but nothing. 

"H-Hey. I said I'm fine. Please don't cry," Marinette said again as she watched his lip tremble. She wiped the tears from his face and gave him a tight squeeze as a thank you.

"You sure?" he continued.

"Dummy. I said I'm okay- I'm more worried about you now," Marinette said letting go and giving the boy a playful poke in the stomach, resulting in a soft giggle. The two of them walked arm in arm down the empty hall back to the dance floor, equally feeling strangely closer than ever. And on that same dance floor they continued to dance the night away, each in utter bliss to be by each others sides. 

Marinette had finally realised it. That maybe, just maybe, she had fallen for both Adrien and Chat Noir. Him. The same boy. Both sides of him. The very boy she was contently dancing with at this moment, in their own little universe. And though it hurt to realise, almost as though she was neglecting the tattoo that remained hidden under her pastel pink glove, just for once, for the first time, she ignored it as she danced under the moonlight in the embrace of her partner's arms. 

A/N: Finally, she took her time to figure that out. Anyway- don't forget to VOTE! I see ya'll adding it to you reading lists and commenting and not voting 🤡 But seriously thanks for the support (and 40k views woooh), it means a lot <3 and even #1 in the #ladybug tag the other day, that's crazy. Love you all <3

See you in the next chapter --> (hopefully I'll update later..)  ^-^