chapter 89 - The Alchemist returns

Start from the beginning

"So (__),"

"Hm?" You reply.

"Where do you think the sundrop flower would be?" Varian asks.

"It would be in the Royal Vaults, but I took it." You cover your mouth in a panic.

Varian stops and turns around, Sophie's eyes widen in shock and nudges you.

"What do you mean, YOU took it?" He stares at you seriously.

You held a hand over your mouth but Varian grabs it away then you spill it out, "I kept seeing visions of you taking the flower, so I asked Sophie if she would come with me to get it before you could!"

Varian narrows his eyes at you both then tuts.

"Varian, please don't be mad. I didn't want you to get into trouble so I just thought if I took it first..."

Varian sighs deeply his fingers pinching the bridge of his nose, "Change of plans..." he continues to walk, "I'm not mad, but before you go do something where you could get into serious trouble, tell me."

He kicks a stone, "We're still going, then you will give me the flower afterwards."

You bite your tongue and gulp, "Okay."

"The serum will wear off soon, I gave you two less than it should be."

Sophie stops walking then blinks, "serum? Varian why would you-"

"To get truthful information, I didn't want to, but you both know the castle more than I do."

You grab his shoulder and make him turn around, "Okay Varian, you've been acting weird since I got back from that banquet. What happened."

Varian glances down not wanting to look into your eyes, "I don't know what you're talking about, nothing happened!"

You lift his chin with your finger making him look at you, "Varian, you used a serum on us to get us to tell you the truth when we would have told if you just asked. It's time for you to do the same..."

Varian whacks away your hand and turns around, "Shut up! I am fine leave it at that!" He yells.

He had never yelled like that before, especially to you. Your eyes water and you felt a pain in your chest. Sophie notices your upset and hugs you before continuing to walk.

_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

You walk out of the tunnel holding your arm and looking down. Not long after, you feel an arm wrap around you.

"Look, I'm sorry... I'm just stressed about everything and it's getting frustrating that we're not getting anywhere. And you and Sophie are the only family I have left, so I just wanted to protect you..."

You lean your head onto his shoulder, "I get it, but please don't take it out on the ones who love you. We can get through this all together."

Varian smiles and kisses your cheek, "Got it." He takes your hand, "And (__)?"

"Yeah?" You reply.