"Yes, I concur with Evelyn," Grandfather chimed in. "Charlotte and Michelle are not good for anything, but they are certainly more interesting than you."

Aww, that must have been the nicest thing he had said to me.

"That's it. Get out, now," Uncle Ricky growled, pointing towards the front door.

They obstinately refused to move a muscle—not that they had any left in their senile bodies.

"Do I need to shove you out the window? Leave. Now. You two have caused nothing but problems today."

I would have laughed at the fearful looks on their faces if the environment weren't so tense.

Ricky took a threatening step towards them.

"Fine, we are leaving." My Grandparents slowly rose from their spots on the couch. Aunt Kelli followed and practically pushed them out the door to ensure their departure.

My father cleared his throat. "Michelle, I will sign these papers and be out of your hair if you let me have custody of Charlotte... She'll come live with Candie and me."

Candie took the opportunity to wiggle her shiny diamond ring in our faces.

"You're engaged?" I asked.

Everything suddenly became crystal clear: he wanted to flaunt his fiancée and new life.

Not that we even gave a shit.

"Yes. We are getting married this spring," Candie announced, hugging my father's side.

Ella moved closer to Candie. "Can I see your ring? It looks beautiful."

Candie beamed and let Ella examine it up close. A small smile overtook my face as I recognized the mischievous look on Ella's face.

"Hmm, it looks very dull and foggy... Are you sure it's real?"

"Of course it is," Candie squeaked, looking a little red in the face. "You just don't know what real jewelry looks like."

"Eh, I still think it looks fake, just like your personality," Ella quipped, dropping her hand.

Ethan snorted but was instantly silenced by his mom.

Candie scoffed sanctimoniously, "Where are your manners, child?"

"With someone who's worth it."

I barked out a laugh but quickly disguised it with a cough after receiving a harsh glare from my mom. I got the message: now was not the time to joke.

"Ella, that's enough," Aunt Kelli interjected, sounding tired. "Go to your room. You too, Ethan."

That begrudgingly went upstairs after directing me worried glances. I waved them off; it wouldn't be that hard to get rid of my father.

Mark was like a fly. We just needed to hit him with a swatter a few times before he would get the message and disappear. And if we were lucky, one of the whacks would kill him.

"Like I was saying before," my father said impatiently, "Charlotte will need to come back to Chicago with me in order for the divorce to proceed. We will leave tomorrow."

"Shouldn't I get a choice in the matter?"

He ignored my important question. "So, Michelle, what do you say?"

"How many times do I have to say it? I am not going to let you take my daughter."

"Well, then someone might tip off the police and tell them that you ran away with her. I can see it all play out: you'll lose custody and won't get your divorce." His gruesome face turned triumphant. "Now, that would be a shame, wouldn't it?"