"I got you a present," I said, grabbing his wrist.

"Oh, yeah. That's right."

I opened my backpack and took the present out. I gave it to him and he took it. He opens the present and looked up at me. "What is this?"

"I know it's silly, but I was in the basement looking through boxes with pictures one day, and I found this picture of you with my grandma. All I got is the picture frame. Do you like it?"

"Oh, Chris. I love it." He wraps his arms around me and pulls me into a tight hug. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." I lifted my head up and look at him. His eyes are prettier than ever and his smile is more beautiful. He cupped one side of my face with his hand and licks his lip. I grabbed one side of his waist and started to breathe very hard. He close his eyes and leans forward to me.

"Brian!"

Brian opens his eyes. "I swear to God!" He gets up from the bed and opens the door. "What!"

"Dinner's ready!" his mom called.

Brian groans and turns back to me. "Well, I guess dinner's ready."

"Yeah, I guess." I smiled at him.

"What are you smiling about?" He walks over to me.

"You're so cute when you get mad sometimes, you know that?"

He stopped in front of me. You shouldn't, Chris." He picks me up from the bed and sets me down on the floor. "Now, come on. Let's have dinner, shall we?"

We went downstairs and went straight to the kitchen. Everybody is already seated and Brian and I took our seats.

"Okay, guys," Jason said, "we're having steaks with potatoes and gravy."

"Ugh, steak," Tara whined.

"I know that feeling," I muttered under my breath.

"Just eat it, Tara," Penelope said.

We all served the foods on our plates and digged in.

"So, Laurie, did you find out if you're having a boy or a girl?" Penelope asked.

"Yes, but I don't want to announce it during Brian's party," Laurie said.

"You can do it Aunt Laurie. I don't mind," Brian said.

"Okay." Laurie put her hand over Ivan's. "We're having a girl."

"Oh, honey. That's great news," one of Brian's grandma said.

"Thanks, Mom," Laurie said.

"So, Christopher, how come we've never met you before," one of Brian's grandpa asked me.

"I used to live in St. Paul and I moved here over the summer," I said.

"Why'd you moved here?" he asked.

"My grandma died and we're now living with my grandpa," I said.

"Oh, who's your grandpa?" one of Brian's grandma asked.

"Esteban Carrera," I said.

"Esteban Carrera? He's a nice gentleman," the other grandma said.

"And Louisa was a lovely woman," one of the grandpa's said. "Sorry about your grandma."

"Thanks, Mr..."

"Walker. I'm Jason's father, but you can call me Roger. And this lovely lady," he hold one of Brian's grandma's hand who I assume is his wife, "is my lovely wife Carol."

"And we're Susan and Val Anderson, Penelope's and Laurie's parents," Brian's other grandpa said.

"Thanks for telling me."

Brian put his hand over mine and squeezed it. He kept it there for the entire dinner.

"Okay, now it's time for Brian to open his presents!" Penelope said.

"You guys got me presents?" Brian asked.

"Not much." She hands Brian an envelope. "Happy birthday, son."

"Great. Another card and money," Brian groaned.

"No, there's a gift card in there," Jason said.

"Oh, for goodness sake, Jason!" Penelope yelled.

"Whoops."

Brian opened the envelope and when he opened the card, a fifty dollar bill and a gift card for Scheels fell out of it.

"Scheels? I don't go there much," Brian said.

"You get clothes there," Penelope said.

"Yeah, for summer," Brian said.

"Just say thank you, Brian," Seth said.

"Thank you," Brian mumbled.

"You're welcome, son," Jason said.

Brian's grandparents also gave him money and cards. Jordan gives a drawing she drew in class Kindergarten.

"And this one from me and Ivan," Laurie said.

"Thanks." He takes the present from her and Laurie smiles. He opens the present and looks at it, which I can tell from the back is a picture frame. He looks up at Laurie and yells, "Are you kidding me!" before throwing it on the floor, breaking the glass.

"Brian!" his dad yelled.

Brian went out throughout the back door and slammed it shut.

Penelope picked up the picture and looked at it. Her eyes widen and she gives Laurie and Ivan an angry look. "Are you two fucking kidding me!"

"What did we do?" Ivan asked.

Penelope gives him the picture. When Ivan saw it, he turns to Laurie. "What did I tell you, Laurie. Don't give him this picture!"

"I'm sorry." Laurie started to cry.

"You never listen to anyone, that's the problem!" Ivan yelled.

Some of the kids started to cry. Jason went to get the broom and dustpan to get the glass off the floor. I looked at the door Brian walked out of. I got up from my seat and went to the door. I don't care what they got him right now. All I wanted to do right now is go out there and comfort him.

"Christopher," Penelope called.

I went outside and looked around the backyard. "Brian," I called out.

I didn't hear an answer from him. Oh God. I hope he didn't run off somewhere.

I heard a sniffling sound and I looked to see Brian sitting on one of the lawn chairs with his head down.

♥️♥️♥️

Feel free to comment if you like.