28- Things happened too fast

Zacznij od początku

"Honey, I'm sorry too." I hug her and pat her back. "You silly thing. I'm your family. I'll always love you and be there for you."

"I know."

"I mean it, Zoey. I don't have any family but you guys. So I'll do anything for you."

"Does this mean you'll let me take care of your baby?"

"Of course. She'll call you auntie."

She covers her mouth. "I hate that, but it's so sweet."

"Am I interrupting?" Zoey's dad asks, standing in the hallway.

We pull back from each other. "Hey," Zoey greets him. "You're home early."

"I thought I come and say hi to Mia."

"Hello, Mr. Pearson," I say awkwardly.

After finishing dinner, I gather stuff to put in the kitchen. Zoey's searching for a movie while I put things in the fridge.

"Good to see you," Phil's voice I hear. He gives me anxiety. I close the door and see him.

"Mr. Pearson. You have the most silent steps ever. Do you float?"

He smiles. "I got just as curious as you are. I found out you've been arrested before. Dangerous woman you are."

I cross my arms. "How exactly did you get that information?"

"Your buddy was more than happy to tell me that."

"My buddy?!"

"He also said he'll tell that to anyone. Even Jordan, if he has to. I asked him what he meant. He said you know what he means."

I get closer to him and lower my voice. "You went to see Jess?!"

"You thought you're the only one who can look into other people's lives?"

I put my finger on his chest. "You crossed a line."

"Which you already had crossed."

"I did not follow you anywhere. Why would I?! I go to a class next door to your support group." I run my hand through my hair. "Why would you even do that? Are you crazy?!"

"In case you want to tell Zoey about the support group."

"I wouldn't tell her anything!"

He shrugs, and before walking away, "It wasn't Jess," he says.

My phone vibrates when I'm at home. It's an unknown number.

'Time's up. Ready to see Jordan's new music video leaked?' Oh, God. I know who it is. Bill, Jess's colleague. The one I asked to help me expose James Williams' secret bidding site.

I arrive at the place Bill has chosen to meet and knock on the door. He opens it. "Hey, criminal," Bill says with an unpleasant smile on his lips.

"You ignorant asshole," I say.

"Whoa, whoa! Take it easy, Mia. You weren't such a bitch when you begged for evidence of James Williams."

He gets inside, and I follow him, closing the door. His place is a mess. Does he know how to fold his clothes? Or put them into his drawers? The ground is invisible. The water bottles and empty food containers have covered the entire place, leaving a nasty smell.

"I already paid your stupid ass," I say, trying to focus.

"That bidding site was like the dark web! James Williams was the boss of it! No one was ready to help you! Not even Jess! You begged me for it. Do you know what I got myself into?! James Williams is now in jail. Guess who he's looking for? Me!"