Twenty Three | Tamales and Tacos

Start from the beginning

I turned back in my seat and refocused my attention on the TV. Where Negan was showing his love for that bat. I got caught up in the show and time passed by in the Ballas Residence. I was no longer seated on the couch. After about five episodes later, I had looked at the time and figured that it was time I take a shower and go get some food. My shower did not take me long, my hair also didn't take me long because I just slicked it back in a low bun and threw on a hoodie. My outfit was basic, it didn't need to be glamorize since I was just going to drive and order some food. I had on a simple pair of sweats and just a hoodie. Comfy. And five minutes later I found myself back down stairs, leaning against the kitchen counter, listening to my parent's bicker about what we should order.

"No, we are getting the group meal thing. With the plantains, rice, and all those other sides." My mom argued back. And to point out, the argument has been going on for about two minutes now.

My dad shook his head. He didn't like to share. Especially if it was those family sizes because he said they 'rarely gave us enough food'. He liked his own meals. "I don't want that. Why don't I just order my own meal and you two share?"

My mom rolled her eyes. "Why would I order a whole another meal for you when we could just all share the family thing? Family meals are usually for four people and we are only three, so you would get more than enough food."

"Because. . .because I don't want that." Was my dad's lame excuse.

I could laugh if my stomach had not been grumbling. I was hungry and we still hadn't decided on what we were going to pick. "Okay lets just do this." I interrupted. I needed to at least smell some food so my stomach could calm down, so out of this house I needed to be. "I will go to the place and will tell you the different deals they have."

They both shrugged. Knowing that my idea was better than more arguing back and forth. "Cool, I'll call you guys when I get there."

I stood back up straight, grabbed the keys from my mom and made my way over to the door. I unlocked the front door and. . .was taken back.

I was surprised.

I was stunned.

I was happy? Wait - why did I sound confused? I was happy.

Vance was here. Of course I was fucking happy. And Vance for the second time now, was stationed in front of my parents door. Did this mean something? Shit, I hoped.

"Vance?" My eyebrows showed my shock. A million questions popped in my head, I only settled to blurt out one. "What are you doing here?"

He lifted up his hands and that's when I finally brought my eyes down and looked at something other than his face. In his hands was two take-out bags. He brought food over to my parent's house? Oh shit, shit, shit. This was going to make me fall right into the deep end. I was falling into the deep end. Shit, food? Food was a way right into my heart.

"I brought Tamales and Tacos." My shocked expression somehow became stronger. Eyes more wide. Mouth wide open. "Also with some sides, beans and rice."

What? When? Who? How? And, "Why?"

I was distracted for a second. He looked so amazing under the porch light. He looked amazing under any light but Goddamn. . .I could not get used to it. His face was practically godly.

He shrugged his shoulders, acting as this was normal. Acting as this was not a big deal. "I was in the neighborhood and saw a deal at a restaurant around the corner from my house. Thought maybe for one night, you guys didn't have to cook. I texted you to let you know that I was coming too."