Chapter 27

DOUBLE UPDATE

THANK ME LATER

40 minutes. It took us 40 minutes to climb to the top of the cliff.

Another eerie thing.

None of us knew how to climb.

Yet we climbed the cliff, and in FORTY MINUTES.

Not even an hour. Or more.

Forty. Exact. Minutes.

I had a bad feeling about this fixed point.

"OHKAY, here we are. What time is it?" Nadali asks, out of breath.

"Five nineteen ish." The Doctor said.

Wait, did The Doctor just say 'ish'?

This was not good.

"Great. What do we do now exactly?" Mia asks, and when she starts to walk she falls over.

"You okay?" I ask, concerned.

"Yeah, just tired." Mia replies.

The Doctor's face is also painted with concern, but I'm sure not for the same reason.

"Sorry to crash the party, but how did that clock get there?" Nadali asks, and I shrug.

How did it get here?

I'm super sure that clocks don't just appear out of the blue.

"It's so hot out here." Mia groans, and my eyebrows knit.

Hot. In the middle of fall? For some reason I wanted to grab Mia, Nadali, and The Doctor and sprint away from this place before the clock struck 5:44.

"Guys, I think we should leave." I state, worried.

"Nah, let's just wait. I can handle the heat for a bit longer."

And so we waited. We waited and waited and waiting, my heart rate to the beat of the ticking clock.

"Leave. Go while you can. Run!"

I turn around to face none other than Elvira.

"Get away." I say, trembling. God knew what she could do.

"I'm here to warn you. Listen, when the clock strikes 5:44, two very dangerous things happen. You have to stop one of them."

I start to call for The Doctor, before she howls "No!"

"They can't see me. Listen to me, The Doctor is a dangerous man. He's going to do something that you will never forgive him for. You have to stop what's about to happen!"

"What?! What could be so dangerous?!"

"Check the time." She says, and I realize it's 5:39. Great. "Check it constantly, now, go and check Mia's temperature. My energy is draining, The Forest is closing!"

I quickly turn to see a panting Mia, and turn back to Elvira, only to find her missing. For some strange reason, I obey payer directions, and feel Mia's forehead.

It was steaming!

I quickly pull away my hand and blow at it. What had happened? How does someone's temperature just, BOOM, change that quickly?!

"Mia, are you okay?" I ask, and she whisks her head to the sun, then back at me. I shriek loudly, and back up. Mia's skin color was completely fine a moment ago, but when she looked at the sun, her tan skin was white. Not pale. White. As in, someone painted over her.

"What?"

"We need to get you away from the sun!" I scream, and pull her towards the way we came. We had to get out.

"Look here!" I hear, and turn to face The Doctor, pointing at the clock. It was 5:40.

Which meant whatever was about to happen, what about to happen in four minutes.

"I'm really, really tired." Mia says, and sits down, starting to shut her eyes.

When she does, I hit her quickly, and blow on my hand. She was burning!

"No, you can't sleep! Come on! We have to get you out of here!"

"5:42" I hear The Doctor yell, and I give him a death glare.

"Just two more minutes, Eva. Chill." She says, and I shake my head.

"What if you don't have two more-" I start, and suddenly realize what's going on.

"Mia! The thing that's going to happen! We have to go, now!!" I bark at her, and she nods sleepily.

"Why?" Nadali pops up, and I widen my eyes. She was just as pale.

"GET OUT OF HERE! BOTH OF YOU!" I say, and as Mia starts to get up, finally obeying me, Nadali falls in defeat.

"Help! Get me away from the sun!" She says, and I run to the other end of the cliff to her, away from Mia.

When I get there, I start to lift her up, when Nadali screams. "MIA!"

I whisk my head around, and see Mia, about to fall off the 10 story cliff.

"MIA NO!"

But it was too late.

I was too slow.

As I ran to get to her, Mia stumbled, and fell backwards.

Right off the cliff.