That Fateful Day

The Outskirts of Shiganshina

The sky wore a thick blanket of bright blue. Soft, puffy, clouds decorated the abyss above. Cordelia lay on her back in the flower field, gazing at the world above her, bored. A light breeze danced across her face and hair. A basket full of blue flowers sat next to her. 

What a boring day, Cordelia thought to herself. She flipped to lay on her stomach, placing her hands below her head. 

Her face grew sad,

"I wonder what Erwin is doing right now..." She said out loud with a sigh. 

"Cordelia!" Adaline called from afar, interrupting her thoughts. 

Cordelia shook herself out of the daze she was in and popped to her feet.

"Yes, Adaline?" She picked up her basket and made her way towards her guardian who sat in the rocking chair on the front porch.

Cordelia was in her early twenties now, Adaline constantly reminded her of the "plethora of handsome men" that were in town for her to talk to. She'd send Cordelia into town whenever she could on 'errands' to see the men she spoke of.

"There you are, my dear." Adaline smiled, reaching out for Cordelia's hand, "Can you please go into the market? I won't be able to join you today. It's too warm for me I'm afraid. Pick up some herbs and spices... Maybe some ingredients for a stew." 

"Of course! I'll be back in a bit!" Cordelia smiled warmly as she handed the basket of flowers to Adaline,

"I just picked these. They're perfectly in bloom. Let's put them in a vase when I get back."

"Beautiful as always!" Adaline warmly accepted the basket.

Cordelia turned to leave.

"You know..." Adaline began. Cordelia turned around to face the old woman.

"What is it?"

Adaline scratched her face, "You should try meeting someone while you're in town. A man, perhaps?" Adaline chuckled.

Cordelia rolled her eyes, "Adaline..."

"You never know when you'll find the one!" Adaline retorted.

"If I were to go off and leave you for a man, who would help you, Adaline?"  Cordelia responded, placing her hands on her hips

"If I were to go off and leave you for a man, who would help you, Adaline?" Cordelia responded, placing her hands on her hips.

Adaline was silent, "There's no need to worry about me for much longer, it seems." She looked towards the horizon, her face tired and sad.

Cordelia was shocked to hear those words come out of Adaline's mouth.

"Nonsense..." She stepped towards Adaline, "What are you talking about, Adaline? You'll always have me. No matter what. I'll be by your side forever!"