Tony Stark X Reader - Attention

Start from the beginning

You had your head resting in her lap when a pair of feet stepped into your view. Shiny, expensive shoes, topped with perfectly hemmed trouser legs. Something deep in the pit of your stomach flipped as you came to the conclusion that Tony had come looking for you. 

"Have you been avoiding me?" 

You sat up quite suddenly, your head spinning as you clutched at the arm of the sofa. "Nope," you answered simply. "Just having fun with my friends." There was a moment of silence as you took a deep breath, pushing the sick feeling back down into the pit of your stomach. "That's okay isn't it? Me actually getting to have fun for once?" 

He shook his head as he watched you. "You're drunk." 

Nat placed a hand on your knee, hovering awkwardly beside you. "Can we not do this now?"

"And what?" you uttered, speaking directly over Nat. "You've not been drinking? Oh Saint Tony, please lecture me on the dangers of drinking," you rambled, letting out a bubble of laughter.

He didn't look amused, his mouth set in a firm line as he stared down at you. "You should go home."

"You should mind your own fucking business," you bit back, your smile dropping immediately. "It's not like you care anyway. You just want me to stay miserable because it makes you feel better about yourself. It's pathetic." 

"Y/N," Nat uttered, squeezing your knee a little tighter, a silent warning.

"I'm almost finished," you murmured, patting her hand lightly before returning your attention to Tony. "I bet you're loving this, aren't you? Me saying a single word to you means that you actually won. That you spreading lies about me worked and you got your own way, because you are so desperate for attention that you can't live your life without ruining someone else's-"

"Y/N," Nat started again, hesitating when you waved your hand in her direction.

"It's because Daddy didn't love you enough, right? Didn't give you the affection you so desperately craved-"

"Y/N, that's enough." This time Nat's interruption landed a little more firmly, and you fell silent, turning your eyes to the ground. "I'm going to get her a cab," she uttered again, pulling you to your feet and dragging you along behind her towards the door. 

*Time Skip*

The next morning, you had felt sick. Like, mouth drier than the Sahara, eyes weepy, head pounding-ly sick. And in reality there was no one to blame other than yourself. Even after you'd gotten home from the party you'd kept drinking, sipping at the end of a bottle of wine that had been sitting open in your fridge for far longer than usual.

In all honesty, you hadn't been drinking since the break up. You had been so heartbroken that it seemed like a bad idea to add alcohol to the equation. For once, you'd been right about something. Last night had been an emotion and drink fuelled disaster. 

The first thing you'd done was send a couple of apologies out. One text to Nat, saying sorry for putting her in such an awkward position. A second to Steve, apologising for making such a scene at his party. The third sat unsent. The things you had said to Tony had been mean. It was a side of you that he hadn't really seen before, and God, in spite of everything that had happened between you, you still felt guilty. You'd overstepped the boundary, but texting him to say sorry would probably still be a bad idea.

Hey, I'm sorry about what I said last night. ~ Y/N. 

It would be a simple text. No context, not explanation. Just an apology. That's all that you needed to do to clear your conscience. You took a deep breath, and finally, hit send. 

You sat in silence for a moment, just staring at the screen as the message went from sent to delivered and then finally, to read. 

I was being a dick, so why don't we just call it even? ~ T.

Even? That didn't even begin to cover it. Before you could think about what you were doing, your fingers were typing out another message.

I said a couple of mean things in the heat of the moment. You took my heart, broke it into a million pieces, and then had the audacity to go around spreading rumours about me. We aren't even. I could never drop low enough to be on your level. ~ Y/N. 

You dropped backwards on your sofa, releasing a deep sigh, until you heard your phone chime. You closed your eyes, attempting to fight the urge to check your messages when another two chimes followed.

I didn't spread those rumours.

Some dick at S.H.I.E.L.D. was saying that shit. I tried to get him to stop and ended up breaking his nose.  

I know things ended badly, but I would never talk about our relationship to random people like that. ~ T.

You swallowed around the lump in your throat, processing his messages. 

Oh. ~ Y/N.

God, what a stupid message. What does that even mean? You shook your head at your own inability to text, racking your brain for something else to say.

Yeah.

Look, I'm sorry for ruining your night. I should've just left you alone. But, I miss talking to you. 

I was hoping we could maybe be friends at some point. ~ T.

A small sigh left your lips, and you blinked away the tears that began forming in your eyes.

I can't do that yet.

I'm not ready. ~ Y/N.

You wished you could say you didn't miss him. It would all be so much easier if you could just outright say that you didn't want to be his friend, ever. But you had been friends before everything. Before you'd decided to be together, and now you couldn't help but hope you could eventually turn back the clock and go back to basic friendship.

I get that. Give me a call when you're ready. ~ T.

Don't hold your breath. ~ Y/N.

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x