Chapter Twenty Six

"Okay, let me begin with your friend Josh as you were a bit too harsh on the guy. He didn't betray you. Lucinda followed him and told us where you were."

"I'll kill the bitch."

He shrugs "If you do Josh will be very upset that you've murdered his mate."

I roll my eyes and push my hair back out of my face "If Lucinda were his mate he would've thrown a fit when I snapped her neck."

He shakes his head "He found out they were mates the last time we went to get Lucinda to join the League. She had absolutely refused until Josh walked into the room, then she accepted without a second thought. He didn't flip out because first of all you didn't actually kill her and two, he's loyal to the Ember pack. That's something that we couldn't break. We had no idea where he was going but we knew that if we threatened his life she would do anything to protect him, including betraying him."

Shit. She's not a coward after all... neither is josh. I grunt as I try to fight off the foreign feeling in my gut at the moment.

"It's guilt." Says Lucius "I know because that's what I feel right now. I hate it. I never apologize or feel bad about anything. That's what made me a good Second. Emerson was the cruelest person alive and he molded me in his image. I never cared about anything or anyone. We slaughtered everything in our path. Entire families murdered without a shred of remorse. All of that changed when I laid eyes on her. She was the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen. Her eyes were so blue I felt like I was drowning in them and when I resurfaced I saw the world for what it truly was, magic. That's how you know you've found your mate. When it consumes you and all you can see or feel or hear is them. They are a part of you and the thought of losing them is incomprehensible. Do you feel that when you look at me?"

I look into his shining green eyes and my wolf howls in pain. My eyebrows scrunched in confusion. "No. I don't. At least not that strongly."

He nods "Because it's not real."

Now I'm really confused "What are you talking about?"

"You aren't my mate Alora. Asha is my true and only mate. I used a spell from Rose's grimoire to tweak the prophecy." He explains.

My mind explodes as little pieces fall together. My wolf howls agonizingly again and I now understand why. She feels betrayed and violated. She knew something never felt quite right. Lucius ruined everything. He messed with her other half, she thought she'd found it and now he's ripped it away from her.

I stand up as anger flashes through my body. He jumps to his feet and holds his hand up in caution as he sees fire swirl in my eyes. "Cool down will you? Save that energy for tonight. You'll need it. I'm sorry okay? I just needed to come up with a different plan. I was desperate. Rose gave up. She stopped trying to save her sister and decided to destroy the Kynda for good. What did you expect me to do when my soulmate is on the other side? I did what I thought I had to do to save her. I just didn't think about the spell working both ways. I actually do care about you but it's different for me. I've felt the pull of the real mate bond before so I know how to keep my wolf from falling for it. I'm truly very sorry for the pain I've caused your wolf. But if you help me get my mate back I will release you from this spell and bring peace to your wolf."

"Release me from the spell." I spit out while trying to drown out my wolf's cries.

"Promise to help me and I will." He counters.

"I can't very well help anyone with a crippled wolf now can I? Lift the spell so I can concentrate on getting your damn mate out."

"I can get rid of that jealousy too. Just swear to help me and it's all gone." He says while grabbing the grimoire and looking at me.