Chapter Thirteen

The man walks over, and with one hand breaks the chains holding me causing me to sway. My limbs feel weak and sore, making me wonder what the hell they've been injecting me with.

"Why are you helping me?" I ask as I snap my wrist back into place.

He smirks, green eyes watching in amusement "The boss wants a word."

"And your boss is?" I ask as I adjust my bra strap. His eyes zero in on my exposed skin.

"You'll know soon enough." He replies right before another bomb goes off, "Time to go."

He nods at me to follow him. Glancing one last time at Jesse's unconscious form, I follow. All the while keeping my senses on full alert as I am surrounded by enemies.

As we walk down the hallway decorated with mutilated bodies and splattered blood, I study the man's demeanor. Scanning for any weaknesses. We climb two flights of stairs and open a door leading to the forest where dozens of hunters are viciously fighting off the hybrids.

Staring at them, I felt fiery anger blaze through my body as memories assault me. They slaughtered my entire pack, and I have been waiting three years to return the favor.

The man aiding my escape shifts into his brown wolf and motions for me to follow. The hunters shoot in our direction once they catch sight of us. I am outnumbered and surrounded by enemies. There's not a doubt I can inflict some serious damage, but Jocelyn's words echo in my mind. Using my new vampire abilities, I dash away from the chaos in a blur.

'A good leader knows when to fight, but a great leader knows when to back down.' I guess my Jiminy Cricket proved herself useful after all.

Thinking of Jocelyn, I released the block in my mind. I'm instantly bombarded with the alarmed voices of my pack.

Alpha, where have you been! Shouts Jocelyn.

There's been another vampire attack. They tried getting into the packhouse but then fled. They seem to be after something specific. Julian reports.

Alpha, there was a sighting a few hours ago by the crescent pack's territory. It was those rogues, they're getting closer. We've doubled patrols, but there hasn't been any more news on their whereabouts. Mentions Fallon in a worried tone.

I wanted to ease her worry and tell her those rogues are currently slaughtering the hunters a few miles behind me and nowhere near Ember territory, but I am not ready for the questions that would follow. Like why the hell I was captured in the first place, or why they would help me, or why I suddenly smell like them.

Mind explaining where the hell you are? The last one was the demanding and annoyed voice of Nick. I internally sighed in relief at the strength in his voice. He's healing.

SILENCE I ordered and they immediately quiet down. I had a few matters to attend to. I am on my way back now and should be there in about an hour.

With that, I put the wall back up and continue sprinting through the forest at an impossible speed. I need a different plan of attack. We had all been fools to think these wolves were simple rogues. We were just teenagers, we didn't know what to call them. They move like a pack yet they have no alpha. No alpha means no pack. If I had known that hybrids even existed I would've spent these last years perfecting weapons to destroy them.

The worst part of all of this is that now.... I am them. I'm a hybrid... or a Werepire as that old bastard calls us. I have become the enemy which in hindsight is not such a terrible thing. In order to kill an enemy, you must think like the enemy. All I have to do is find out what my weakness is and use it. Do I even have any weaknesses?