Chapter Fifteen

Começar do início

"Welcome to Valatieri Falls." Says Reece with a small smile.

I ponder where I've heard that name for a moment before it finally comes to me. Valatieri is the name the rogue gave me right before I ended his life.

The group disperses into the forest as Reece and I enter the mansion. My senses on high alert as I survey the area for any threats while also taking in its cream-colored walls and perfectly polished black galaxy tiles.

"So this... leader of yours." I begin and Reece looks back with an open face "Is he your alpha?"

He chuckles and shakes his head "Goddess no. We don't have an alpha. We aren't governed by pack laws. Think of us as a league."

"League?" I question with scrunched eyebrows "Well aren't you high up on your pedestal."

"Not particularly, no. A league is simply a collection of people gathered for a particular purpose and or cooperation." He explains as we come to a stop in front of large cream-colored double doors.

"And what exactly is the purpose of your "league"?" I quote sarcastically. He says nothing but motions for me to open the doors. Keeping an eye on him I push open the double doors to an office with large windows adorned with cream curtains. The windows are large enough to give a perfect view of the majestic waterfall ahead. I fall so in love with the view that I nearly miss the tall muscular man with his back to us as he too stares at the water.

"Boss." Reece announces "I have brought you The Flame."

"Leave us." The man's husky voice orders and Reece leaves without another word. My wolf stirs uneasily and I tense. Silence envelopes the room and I study his relaxed posture and tousled black hair.

"What do you want with me." I demand, voice cool and collected.

He finally turns to face me and my breath catches in my throat. I want to scream and run out of here but my feet are frozen in place. His eyes are a striking green. Like the forest outside of the shield. His face appears to be carved by the Moon Goddess herself.

"Well, this is unexpected

"Well, this is unexpected." He murmurs as he flashes over to stand before me. His smell is masculine and completely, deliciously overwhelming. His hand reaches up to caress my face and my body shakes as I feel a magnetic pull towards him.

"Mate." I whisper and he smiles, bringing both hands to cup my face.

"Mine." He whispers as he brushes his nose against mine.

My hands tremble as I pull his hands away from my face. He frowns but respectfully backs away.

"I apologize for my forwardness." He says with apologetic eyes "My name is Lucius Valatieri." He says as he extends his hand.

"Alora Lume." I whisper as I shake his hand and he brings it to his lips, pressing a soft warm kiss on the back of my hand.

"I know." He smiles "I also know you are The Flame. What I didn't know is that you'd be my mate. I am extremely honored and blessed to be paired with such an extraordinary mate."

"I wish I could say the same." I state and his smile falters.

"Have I done something to anger you?"

I pull my hand away and step back "I don't know let's make a list shall we? Let's begin with the fact that three years ago you and your 'League' slaughtered almost my entire pack, save for myself and a few others. Then there is the fact that you have continued to slaughter packs one by one. You have also been recruiting wolves against their will and quite possibly turning them into Werepires. Lastly, the only reason I am here right now is because you want to use me for whatever the hell The Flame does but you weren't counting on us being mates. Now, you have no idea how to proceed as you break eye contact every four seconds. That indicates that your mind is racing while trying to figure out another course of action. Is that reason enough to be upset?" I ask rhetorically and he gapes at me.

"Everyone simply refers to us as hybrids... but you said Werepires. Why?" He whispers. "You've met him haven't you?"

Crossing my arms I arch a brow "Who?"

"The original. You've seen him, he is the only person that calls us that. He wanted to create his own race." He explains with a tight smile.

"So out of everything I just said you focus on the fact that I said Werepires? Great." I say as anger begins to rise "Is that why you've been turning wolves against their will? You're building a new race in honor of him?"

He chuckles and shakes his head "Sweetheart, we don't turn anyone against their will. We give them the choice. Just like we will give you."

"I'm already a hybrid." I state, voice laced with confusion.

"That you are my love." He agrees "But you aren't devoted to the cause which is why until you are, I have to treat you the same as everyone else."

He grabs me by the waist and I hate the pull I feel towards him, hate the fact that I'm attracted to him. I hate the fact that it takes so much effort to keep myself from kissing him.

"I didn't know you'd be my mate." He whispers as he presses his forehead against mine "but I cannot show preferential treatment. I'm sorry darling, you may need to add this to your list."

I look at him with slight confusion before feeling a pinch on the side of my neck. Reece is now standing behind me and pulling back a syringe from my skin. My body goes numb with paralysis and blood thickens in my veins making it hard to breathe.

What the hell is that stuff?!

The last thing I see before succumbing to the darkness is his vibrant green eyes staring at me with adoration.