𝐈𝐈.𝐈𝐗

Start from the beginning

"I worried that something bad would happen." Steve muttered as he averted his eyes to anywhere but the girl.

"So you followed me into the bathroom?" Darla questioned alarmed. She noticed how red Steve's cheeks had gotten, which made her chuckle.

"I panicked." Steve said raising his voice ever so slightly. Darla shook her head at the boy.

"You can stay. Just to keep me safe." Darla said in a mocking tone. "At some point I may need rescuing." She teased.

Darla closed the door once more and allowed the hot water to rush over her. She began to hum a song that her father used to sing her and her siblings to sleep with.

The humming caught Steve's attention, making him stop cleaning the soot from his arms and just listened for a minute. He relaxed at the soothing sound.

"Cap?" Darla questioned anxiously as she stopped humming. She hadn't heard the running water from the faucet or the mans heavy breathing in a while.

"Still here." Steve reassured the girl. He placed his hands on the side of the sink and let go of a deep sigh before looking up at himself in the mirror.

His face was still covered in soot and his lip had the smallest cut on it. Nothing that he was too worried about.

"Could you get me some clean clothes please?" Darla questioned innocently as she washed the conditioner out of her hair. She hoped that Sam wouldn't mind that she had used some.

"Yeah, yeah." Steve nodded and went into the bedroom, where Sam had laid them out some spare clothes. He grabbed a random plain blue shirt and walked back into the bathroom. "I'll leave you to get changed." Steve said as he shut the door and waited in the bedroom.

Not even seconds later, Darla came out in the blue shirt, which stopped just above her knee's. Steve smiled up at the girl before heading back into the bathroom himself.

He left the door ajar as he washed his face, from the corner of his eyes he could see Darla attempting to dry her hair with the towel.

"You doing okay?" Steve asked as he leant against the door frame and crossed his arms. Darla hummed in response and averted eye contact, which didn't sit right with Steve. He walked over to the girl and knelt down in front of her, his hands resting on her thighs, causing her to look down at him. "What's going on?"

The blonde rested her forehead against Steve's as she closed her eyes and let out a deep breath. Steve's eyes flickered to her lips, one small movement and her lips would be on his for the second time today.

"Talk to me." His warm breath mingled with hers as he spoke.

"I feel like, we're in a constant battle. Like we're never going to be at peace or be able to find happiness." Darla whispered truthfully. "I just want to be happy."

"There's a chance you might be in the wrong business." Steve whispered back, his hands moving from her thighs to cup her cheeks. Darla nuzzled into his palm and relaxed at his touch.

"Thank you." Darla smiled. "For saving my life, yet again. I owe you."

"It's okay." Steve shook his head, as she opened her eyes. His blue eyes met with her bright green ones, making him smile.

"Can I ask you something?" She questioned, Steve hummed in response. "You be honest with me. If it was down to me to save your life, would you trust me to do it?"

"I would." Steve nodded and paused for a minute. "And I'm always honest."

"You seem way too happy for someone who found out they just died for literally no reason at all." Darla pulled away from the boy with a soft smile.

"Well," Steve took a seat beside Darla on the bed. "guess I just like to know who I'm fighting." The man placed his hand on the blonde's thigh once again. Darla linked her hands with his. They both turned and looked at one another with a smile.

A small knock on the door frame snapped them out of their gaze.

"I made breakfast, if you guys eat that sort of thing." With that, Sam walked away.

Steve stood up from his spot on the bed,

"You coming?"

"I'll be down in a minute." Darla nodded with a smile.