21 - pete quaife

Requested by the kind malkavianite , a fellow fan of The Kinks! I hope this is what you wanted, dear!
❪❤︎❫
The sun was sinking below the horizon like melting wax by the time you rolled yourself out of bed. Normally, you cringed at the thought of being so lazy. You were always up and about, doing something or another either in your flat or downtown at the shops.

But you hadn't been on a normal schedule since you and your boyfriend had split. It was a messy breakup full of spiteful words and the resounding slam of the front door. You hadn't seen Gere since he'd packed half of the records in your split collection and left for what he'd kindly called greener pastures.

Even now you knew Gere was heading straight for the seedy clubs of East London. Your only regret was that you didn't call him out on it. You had let Gere leave without a fight, knowing that it was the right thing, but being nonetheless bitter about it. How dare he leave you when it was supposed to be the other way around?

Gete was the one who cheated so many times and tried to cover it up. All you were doing was trying to make it work. It pained you even now, seeing your hard work go down the drain.

And still Gere affected you! You haven't had a proper sleep schedule in weeks!

The only person who tried to be there for you was Pete. Sweet, kind Pete who did all he could to keep you smiling and fed during the moments you found yourself so full of despondency that you could hardly breathe. Despite being busy with The Kinks, Pete found time to visit you and call while he was away on tour.

You had been fast friends since you'd met through Ray, both enjoying the same things and bonding over music and art and the stars. Pete stuck by your side throughout you and Gere's tumultuous relationship, tossing out more than a few mean words about how Gere treated you.

On more than one instance, you found yourself having to soothe tensions in the room when Gere and Pete were together. Though Pete could be largely easygoing when it came to you and his friends, nothing got him temperamental quicker than a well-placed smirk and smart remark from Gere.

Once, Pete had even threatened to knock his block off. You stopped inviting him over when Gere was around after that.

But Gere was gone now, and all you wanted was some good company. Pete was always there for you. Part of you ached to have him with you. It was a selfish want, one that made you hesitate at the phone. You wouldn't call him. Not now.

It was already heading into the evening time, and you were sure Pete had some important gig to attend. You weren't going to force him to come over to help cheer you up. Deep in your heart, you knew that it wouldn't just be to boost your mood.

You enjoyed all the time you spent with Pete. It just had taken your messy relationship with Gere to figure it out.

"God, I can't believe you," you said to yourself, running a hand through your hair as you descended the staircase. "He probably wants nothing to do with you."

Banning the thought from your mind for the time being, you headed into the kitchen. You hadn't gotten up much that day save for occasional bathroom trips, and you were starving. There wasn't much in your fridge and you weren't in the mood to cook, so you settled for two sad slices cold pizza.

The idea of heating them up in the oven crossed your mind, but you were feeling too sluggish to move the extra few feet. Instead, you dropped the plate onto the table, settling to take a bite of your first meal in hours.