2 - nick mason

For @canispeaktomarge. Thank you for the request, dear!
❪❤︎❫
The trip to the mountains had been meant as a break from recording. Sessions at Abbey Road had become tense as of late, and Nick more than anyone deserved a respite from the constant arguing. You'd happily accompanied Nick on the little roadtrip to the Lake District, never one to turn down an opportunity to be alone with him.

You had gone on a few dates like this when you two were younger. Many nights had been spent sneaking out of dorm rooms and into parks to gaze at the night sky together. Now, you were fortunate enough to be able to leave your home at your own volition with Nick driving a car that belonged to him and not something he "borrowed" from his father.

It was supposed to be a camping holiday. You'd packed the boot up with tents, food, and a limited selection of the tools you thought you'd need out in the wilderness. Neither of you were particularly outdoorsy, so you hoped nothing would go terribly wrong while you were out.

The unpleasant image of being walked in on by a cartoonish Grizzly bear filled your mind's eye and you had to supress a giggle at the thought.

"What're you thinking about?" Nick turned his attention away from the road to shoot you a curious look. His hazel eyes were glimmering with unspoken words, holding you captive for a brief second before you found yourself again.

You gave his shoulder a solid shove to turn him back around. "I don't wanna crash! Eyes to the front, please."

Nick grumbled something half-heartedly, not truly angry. "Fine, fine. The worst thing I could hit is a fox. Wouldn't risk damaging my precious cargo here," he reached over to give your knee a playful squeeze.

You allowed it for the time being, but eventually grew too nervous and had to brush Nick away again. This time it was gentler, as you took the time to run your fingers over the top of his hand reverently. Cherishing him.

Out of the corner of your eye, you could see Nick smile. "You might make me wreck with all that, love. Thankfully for both of us, we're here."

You glanced out the window, taking in the world around you. So far away from the city, there was no sign of life besides the occasional hikers dotting the landscape. The rolling hills framed the scenery delicately, as if painted in. You'd never seen anything as peaceful as this.

You must have been silent for a long time, because Nick had already parked the car and was shaking your shoulder. "Y/N? Are you alright? Did you wanna head back already?" He was teasing, but you could tell that there was an underlying seriousness to it.

"No, no," you breathed, tearing your eyes away. "It's beautiful, Nick. I love it. I can't believe we're going to be here for a weekend."

The reassurance seemed to invigorate him all over again and Nick laughed as he took the key from the ignition. "Hey, I saw the biggest rock of my life on the way in. I'll race you!"

You watched in shock as Nick dashed out of the car, getting a headstart in the direction of the rock you had missed on the journey into the park. There wasn't any way he was going to get away with that! You quickly unbuckled your seatbelt and shot after Nick's retreating form.

Racing past trees and skidding over dirt paths had you winded by the time you found him. Nick was grinning from ear to ear, perched atop a massive boulder nestled within a grove of trees. You had almost gotten lost trying to find him amidst the maze of trails and hills.