when death takes my hand

It's a cruel thing. Death. Its sweeps you off your feet before you had the chance to stand. He comes at night. Creeping. Hiding behind a cloak of anguish and tears. I weep. Not because I am sad to die, but because I am sad that I have to live without you - at least for a while. In his presence, my tears turn to ash, and my cries muffled.

It feels like drowning. You try to swim, to kick , to stay afloat, but nothing works. It's too strong. The tide. It comes quickly and can't be stopped.  So eventually you relent. Letting your fears be washed away in the cooling ocean. And the pain. It melts away. Sickly sweet yet bitter on my tongue.

I wish I could promise that I would see you again. Your smile, the way your eyes glow when the sun hits them on a spring afternoon; when your nose turns red, frostbitten by a sharp winter wind. I can promise nothing. I am nothing, without you.

And as he whispers, beckoning me towards him, and I let go. And like a satellite wrenched from orbit I am gone. Taken by the cruel master of the spirits. I want to scream yet I am so at peace, comforted by the figure beside me. Withered by old age, he offers my a boney finger, but I decline. For when death takes my hand, I will hold you with another and promise to find you in another lifetime.