To Live and Let Go

Alex's POV

I was late. Late for the most important day of the year. As I rushed around my small apartment making sure I had everything I needed, I spotted my black acoustic guitar leaning against the wall of my bedroom.

I smiled and strode across the room to grab it. I grabbed my keys and walked out the door, closing and locking it behind me.

I got into the drivers seat of my old, but very dependable, car. I started her up and drove off. I settled on driving in silence rather than blasting my music as usual, today was a celebration but one that also brought tears to my eyes.

It seemed almost automatic driving there. Before I knew it I had reached the parking lot. I climbed out and reached over to the passengers seat where my guitar laid. I grabbed it and made my way over to his grave.

Today was Tom's birthday. I was nervous and shaky. Why was I nervous? No one was around.

I sat in front of Tom's grave. A graveyard wasn't the most inviting place, but it was quiet and I needed to visit my brother.

"Hey big brother." I said and smiled at the marble tombstone. "H-Happy Birthday, Tom. I wrote you a song!" I said, trying to be enthusiastic.

I picked up my acoustic laying beside me. "I hope you like it. I know you will. You were always the only one supportive of my music." I gave a little laugh and smiled.

Tom was the only person that told me I could make something of myself. He said I had a gift, while everyone else told me I should learn a real skill so I could get into a good college, and that I shouldn't waste my time on music. Everyone told me it was silly. But not Tom.

I missed him so much, but he's gone now. A tear slipped down my cheek and I wiped it away. "Alright, here it goes." I strummed the first chords of the song and began to sing quietly,

"My ship went down in a sea of sound

When I woke up alone, I had everything

A handful of moments, I wished I could change

And a tongue like a nightmare that cut like a blade

In a city of fools, I was careful and cool

But they tore me apart like a hurricane

A handful of moments, I wished I could change

But I was carried away

Give me a therapy, I'm a walking travesty

But I'm smiling at everything

Therapy, you were never a friend to me

And you can keep all your misery

My lungs gave out as I faced the crowd

I think that keeping this up could be dangerous

I'm flesh and bone, I'm a rolling stone

And the experts say I'm delirious

Give me a therapy, I'm a walking travesty

But I'm smiling at everything

Therapy, you were never a friend to me

You can take back your misery

Arrogant boy

Love yourself so no one has to

They're better off without you

Arrogant boy

'Cause a scene like you're supposed to

They'll fall asleep without you

You're lucky if your memory remains

Give me a therapy, I'm a walking travesty

But I'm smiling at everything

Therapy, you were never a friend to me

You can take back your misery

Therapy, I'm a walking travesty

But I'm smiling at everything

Therapy, you were never a friend to me

And you can choke on your misery"

I played the last of the chords and looked up and Tom's grave. I knew he'd be proud. He always was when I wrote songs. I kissed my hand and place it on the stone. Happy Birthday, Thomas.

Jack's POV

I leaned down and placed the assorted boquet on my grandparents grave. I said a few words then decided I needed to go for a walk.

As I walked around the cemetery I heard music. Not obnoxious rap that's usually blasting through a passing car's speakers, but beautiful music with the most beautiful voice.

I followed the sound until I came to a guy sitting into front of a grave. He played a black acoustic guitar and was singing. Apart from his flawless voice, he was thin and had shaggy brown hair covered by a beanie.

This boy was the most gorgeous thing I ever laid his eyes on. The boy's eyes were closed as he sang so he hadn't noticed me standing there.

He stopped sing and playing and whispered was seemed to be a "Happy Birthday". I felt a pang in my heart. The boy must've lost someone close and it was their birthday today. Good job putting that together Barakat.

I should probably say something before he notices me and thinks I'm a creep just watching him. I spoke up quietly, "H-hey, that was really good. Did you write that yourself?"

The guy jumped 10-feet high and spun around. He looked confused as he spoke, "How long have you been standing there?" Shit, he thinks I'm stalking him. "Oh, I just heard singing and thought it was good so I was just liste- look, I'm not stalking you. I just thought you had a good voice and that song was really good. Sorry if I creeped you out." I stammered trying to make the situation better.

His expression softened and he gave me a little smile. "Thanks. The song means a lot to me." I put my hand out, "I'm Jack." He shook my hand and said, "Alex".

Somehow I managed to work up the courage and form the words to ask, "Hey, ya know it's getting late, and I'm cold. Do you maybe want to get some coffee with me?" My face lit up at his response, "Yeah, I would like that."

So, this is my first ever story/fanfiction! Don't make fun of me! If you like it then please comment or vote, or both c; and maybe you could give me some encouragement or ideas? If it's shit then tell me! This is just the beginning and if it sucks then I'll end it. But if you read it and liked it Thank You! <3

Also, Rose, Thank you for encouraging me to write! I would dedicate this first chapter to you but unfortunately I don't know how :( So I'm retarded but I love you!

-Vicky