Aanya

I lug my suitcase behind me, following the large group of other new arrivals. I've always wondered where Sihir was. It was the home of over a billion people and I remember spending hours as a child, looking at maps wondering where it was. No wonder I never found it, Sihir was on the moon. It was a sprawling city under large glass domes. The main academy's colossal castle towered above the rest of the city as if it was keeping a watch on everyone. The large towers loomed over everyone like a gentle reminder to be careful, however the towers held an odd elegance. As if they could come swooping down like gowns at a ball. What I assumed to be dormitories and other school buildings along with a variety of stores made up the rest of the city. A portal would open right into the main entrance, where students would be dropped off.

Suddenly the group came to a sudden stop, and we halted in front of what I earlier assumed to be the dormitories.

"Alright, guys! Everyone stand in a line as I tell you your dorm building and room number!" The woman leading the group announced. She had graying brown hair that was pulled back into a tight bun at the nape of her neck. Her beautiful mocha skin complimented her crisp white suit and her eyes were constantly changing from brown to green and every color in between.

Everyone shuffled into a haggard line. The wait went much faster than I expected. I got to the front of the line and I gave the woman my name. She glanced up at me, seemingly a little surprised, and handed me a key, "You're in Building A, room 824." Her voice was strangely repelling and made me want to scurry far away from her.

I walked away from her and looked around at the buildings, regretting walking away from her so fast without asking for directions. The campus was so large and the various students scurrying around the buildings certainly did not help. I wander around for a little longer and finally manage to find Building A, it's a tall glass building with balconies, some empty and others overflowing with various paraphernalia. I entered the building expecting some sort of quiet lobby. Instead, I'm met with a bustling and magical cafeteria; the sweet smell of waffles wafting through the entire room making my stomach grumble as I realize I hadn't eaten all day. The space looks like an aesthetic cafe you would go to for a date, with soft lighting and comfortable seating, soft music plays in the background while excited students whisper among themselves; it gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling, like chewing a warm cookie after a day in the snow. I slowly drift towards the smell, tempted to eat something, but I resist, I look like a mess and I need to get settled in before classes start, food can wait for now.

I look around and spot an elevator. With great effort, I drag my elephant of a suitcase over to it and wait for the elevator. The doors open with a ding and I almost run over an extremely hot east Asian guy, my guitar almost whacking him in the face. He had intense dark brown eyes that held a thousand emotions and his dark hair was parted to the side, slightly messy. He looked like a celebrity and had this dark aura around him, seemingly protecting him as if it was a shield. I quickly snapped out of my daze and apologized with a sheepish smile. He gave no notice and walked out of the elevator without a second glance. Huh.

I watch as a girl my age chases him out of the elevator, begging him to tell her about the school. He gives her a little smile. She looks like a mini version of him except female. I find myself getting jealous, if only I could have that again. I try so hard to escape that feeling, but it always stays at the back of my mind, lingering like a ghost, what if this? What if that? Would things have been different? No matter how hard I try to forget it, I can't. I take a deep breath. I need to focus now. I'm going to meet new people, new friends, new family, right?

The elevator closes and the long ride up to the eighth floor is filled with an awkward silence. I think what my roommates must be like. I chuckle internally, imagining girls straight out of a cheesy movie. I can imagine what they'll look like, and how they'll act. The thought makes me chuckle, earning me some looks from the students beside me.