Chapter 73.

"Don't you ever tame your demons

But always keep 'em on a leash"

Song: Arsonists Lullaby - Hozier.

*****

ABBY P.O.V:

Hope.

That's a feeling I didn't think any of us would have after last night, for a very long time.

Since Jimmy's phone call however, the air in the room felt ten times lighter.

Steve was stable.

I'd heard the same things the doctor had told Jimmy, I know that the hard part for Steve is only beginning and we don't truly know how bad it is yet, especially with how severe the injury to his brain is.

He still has to wake up.

... He's alive though.

For Jimmy's sake alone, that news is a miracle.

Weight felt like it melted from my body, muscles that I didn't know were tensing relaxed and I wanted to collapse over how grateful I was.

Everyone else in the room had similar tear filled joyful expressions, and Harry had slumped back against the couch to cover his face.

He seemed overwhelmed, but with relief, instead of the dread he'd had all night.

"Nah, I knew it," Jacob had said, gesturing to Sophie with his arm that was in a cast, "I told ya, didn't I? You can't kill baldy, the man's pure muscle and protein shakes — it'd be like trying to take down a silverback gorilla. Probably hurt the bullet more to hit him."

His voice is still so rough, it's normally so sweet and smooth, and my heart sinks briefly over thinking of reasons he'd nearly lost his voice.

Screaming, is my guess, I was going to say smoke from the club but Harry and Jimmy's voices are fine.

Harry had looked at Jacob with a flat look, "he's currently missing part of his skull, plus a lung. I think the bullets did enough."

Jacob had gone to smack Harry's shoulder, forgetting his forearm was in a cast and both he and Harry cussed a loud "fuck" when the cast hit Harry's shoulder.

"Ow, shit." Jacob whined but quickly kept ranting, "No but that's what I'm saying. That happened to anyone else? Dead on the spot. Goodnight. Not our baldy though, tough as nails, he'd make the grim reaper his bitch. Ya can't kill him."

Harry had squinted at Jacob, "You're bald now too, you know, what are you then? Baldy number two?"

Jacob had frowned, running his palm over his smooth scalp, but then ran his hand over his short scruffy beard.

"Nah, Nah Steve's baldy because he's smooth all over. Like an egg. I've still got some hair. He's the real deal."

Harry looks at him sideways, with his brows dropping, "... How high are you right now?"

"Only a lil'bit," Jacob had lifted his chin with another dopey smile, "I got a little pain relief recipe goin' on, you know, nothin fancy. But I feel good."

Harry rolls his eyes and Rob stands up, straightening up his shirt and looks at Harry and I, "I'm going to go see Steve and see how Jimmy is doing, were you coming Harry?"

Rob looks relieved, just as over the moon with the news as the rest of us, but Harry shakes his head, "No I'll drop in and see Steve after, I need to fill Abby in on a few things — Levi, did you wanna see Jimmy and Steve again? Before you go home? Rob, can you tell Jimmy I'll be in to see him later, and that Bob is here with Jacob and Sophie?"