c h a p t e r 8 ~ the hallway

"Could you be any more adorable?"

We looked out at the crowd when the tech guy came running out, "Hey, where'd the rest of the band go?" "Wait. Were those holograms?" Asked Kayla.

"Yes. Yes, they were holograms. Jess and I plugged it into the ceiling projector before the show." Julie said. "We'd explain it, but it involves algorithms and science stuff." I added and everyone started cheering for us.

"Let's get back to class, please." Said principal Lisa. Julie saw Mrs. Harrison and started talking to her I stayed in case she needed help. "Mrs. Harrison, I am so sorry for not asking permission. I just wanted to show you I belong here."

"As amazing as that was, your spots already been filled by another student." Mrs. Harrison said motioning to a kid with a cello wat too big for him. "That's way too big for him." I told her. "He'll grow into it." She told me and turned to face Julie, "I wish that I could help you but my hands are tied."

Principal Lisa walked over, "Mine aren't, and as much as I didn't approve of this little stunt that you pulled, I will not go down in history as the principal that kicked Julie Molina out of the music program."

A huge smile grew on my face and Julie let out a chuckle, "Thank you!" "But... when two you win your first grammy I want to be thanked. And Jess, you did amazing also." Principal Lisa told us. "Definitely." Julie said. I smiled, "Thanks!"

"Thank you." Mrs. Harrison said to principal Lisa as she walked away. "Congratulations!" Mrs. Harrison told Julie while they shared a hug. "Welcome back! And good job to you to Jess." Mrs. Harrison said walking away.

We saw Flynn and ran over to her. "Wow. You guys did it." Flynn said to us. "Thanks to you." Julie told her. "Hey, Flynn, are you okay?" I asked. "Umm... I'm great. When did you two start playing with a hologram band?" Flynn asked us.

"Oh, it was just one song, we're not a band. They're a band, a hologram band. Definitely holograms." Julie told her. Flynn nodded, "Yeah, I saw. Why have you been keeping those cute boys a secret? And Jess, what's with you and the bass player?"

"Um..." I started but Julie cut me off, "There's a reason for that. It's just..... really crazy." "I'm all about crazy, let's hear it," Flynn said.

"Okay. Um, so they're... from Sweden. Yeah. Turns out that they're not only great at making meatballs but also good at making music. Yeah, so they play there, I stream them here, we play together, they leave then that's it." Julie told her.

"Yeah, Reggie the bass player and I are dating and I told him about Julie's situation and he said that he and his band could help." I told Flynn. "Anyways who's excited I'm back in the music program?" Julie asked.

"First off, Jess your first guy! Yay! But are you guys lying to me?" Flynn asked us. We both sighed, "Yeah." We said at the same time. "But not about me and Reggie dating." I quickly added causing a funny look from Julie.

"Yeah. But other than that we're lying." Julie told her. "Since when do we lie to each other? Jess, you are so big about not lying." "Flynn... I'm sorry." Julie said. "I'm so so sorry." I told Flynn. She looked at us wide-eyed, "I'm sorry? That's all you two got?" Then Flynn ran out.

"Wait, Flynn. Wait come on!" I called out as Julie was also calling out after her. We got into the hallway and the new kid blocked us with his huge cello. "Really?" Julie asked. As we were walking down the hall we kept getting stopped by people congratulating us.

I fell behind Julie because Ricky Bowen, my guy best friend, stopped me in the hallway. "Jess, that was epic!" He exclaimed. "Thanks." I said with a frown. "What's the matter?" He asked now concerned.

I looked up, he was the only one who ever cared about my feelings, "Flynn is mad at Julie and me for not telling her about the guys." I told him. He looked at me, "Jess, it's Flynn, she's gonna come around you know that." I smiled, "Thanks Ricky, you always know what to say. And I missed you! But I gotta go catch up to Julie." I gave him a quick hug and ran off. 

I told him I missed him because he was gone on a trip Monday through Thursday. I had told him about Julie but he wasn't there to see her, he was also in my music and dance class. Also, he's a junior just like me.

When I finally caught up I saw her talking to Carrie and Nick, "Hey Carrie! You guys did amazing! I'm so sorry about the surprise performance but we had to do it." I told Carrie. "It's fine Jess, but thanks! And you guys did good too." She said and walked away pulling Nick with her.

"Nick.... god Julie you still like him?" I asked. She looked at me as we were walking, "Well, Reggie... you and him are dating?" She asked. "Yeah, we are. We started last night." I told her.

We walked around the corner, "Julie! Jess!" The boys yelled. "You! Stop doing that!" Julie yelled at them. "We're serious." I added. "Woah! This ones on you! We were already here. Well actually, we were over there, and then we can over here." Reggie told us. I let out a chuckle.

"Are we not gonna talk about what just happened?" Luke asked. "Yeah, the whole school saw you. It's kinda freaking me out." Julie said.

I looked at Alex to see him panicking, "Okay, good because it's kinda freaking me out too. You know, you two could see us, and then people could see us whenever we play music. And my clothes are made of air, but for some reason, I'm still getting a wedgie. So many questions."

"Breath Alex, it's okay." I said as Luke rubbed his back. "The important thing is that we rocked that place. They were loving you two!" Luke exclaimed. Are you kidding? They loved us! That was a great song, Luke. Thanks." Julie told him.

Reggie came over and plugged my ears and whispered but I could still hear him, "And did you guys see Jess looking at me? I think she was looking at me." He said and then walked back over by Luke. "Please tell me she was looking at me." He said. Luke grabbed his face, "Bro, she was looking at you." "Well of course I was looking at you babe, I mean we are dating." I said. Alex and Luke looked at us shocked, "Oh um.... yeah.... we're dating. And um Julie.... your dad knows." Reggie told everyone.

"You told dad?" Julie asked. "Well we figured out that when I touch Reggie he kinda comes back alive..... but we can talk about that later." Alex started panicking again, "I'm so.... confused, you know? The afterlife should come with instructions or a quick start guide or something."

"Well, the good thing is that everyone thought you were holograms and I got back into the program." Julie said and we both frowned thinking of Flynn. "Why are you guys so sad?" Reggie asked. "Yeah, dudes, you're making this face." Luke said pulling Reggie and Alex into a hug and then all putting on frowns.

"That. Is not our faces." Julie said. "It's your faces." Luke mumbled. "No it's not." I said. "And things just got weird between Flynn and us. She asked about you guys and we couldn't say anything except that Reggie and Jess are dating." Julie told them. "Sweet. Jess is already telling people about me." Reggie said giving Luke a low five.

"Stop Reggie. We're serious." I said but I was blushing really hard. I continued, "We can't tell her about you guys for the same reason we can't tell our dad." Julie finished, "She'll think I've gone off the deep end." My breath hitched at the lack of my name.

Reggie came over and wrapped his arms around me. "And you, she'd be worried about you." He whispered so only I could hear. "Thanks." I slightly smiled, "You always know what to say." I kissed him on the cheek, "Wow... um...." Reggie started. I laughed, "Could you be any more adorable?" I asked. He laughed, "Wow Jess, now am I gonna have to deal with friends references all the time?" He asked. I smiled, "Yep!"

Julie cleared her throat, "Hate to break up the moment but...." Julie started. "This dude definitely thinks you two have gone off the deep end." Reggie interrupted as the janitor walked off.

"I gotta get back to class." Julie said. "So do I, bye babe." I said as I kissed his cheek. "Bye baby." He said then kissed my forehead. Julie and I walked away, "Oh and Jess, tell more people we're dating." Reggie called out. I laughed "Okay babe." I said, then kept walking to class.