36: Maybe Perfect

Start from the beginning

“Hey Soph.” he replied happily. “Do you think I could come over to hang out for a while?”

I nodded my head before realizing that he couldn’t visibly see me. “Sure Jett, you can come over.” I responded as I entered the kitchen in need of a snack.

What I wasn’t expecting was both my aunt and uncle to be sitting at the kitchen counter with their eyebrows raised in an amused fashion.

“Sophie?” I heard vaguely through my phone, realizing I had zoned out for a second.

Shaking my head and turning away from my guardians, I spoke. “Sorry, what did you say?”

Hearing Jett chuckle through the receiver made an automatic smile appear on my face. “I asked if it was okay for my mom to drop me off in like twenty minutes because she’s headed your way and I can’t really take my bike in this weather.” he restated.

“Yea sure, just come in when you get here.”

“Great!” he chirped happily. “I’ll see you soon Soph.”

“See you soon.” I replied before hanging up and turning back to my aunt and uncle. “What are you guys doing home?”

They glanced at each other with identical smug looks quickly before turning back to face me. “We didn’t want to drive in to work today with the horrible storm outside so we decided to take the day off. If any employees needed us the secretaries have our home phone number.” Mary explained. Leaning forward onto her elbows she smirked at me. “Now, would the person you just invited over for the day happen to be Jett?”

Feeling a small burst of heat in my cheeks, I immediately knew that I was blushing when I nodded. “Um… yea, is that okay?” I asked hesitantly.

Both Mary and Dennis nodded in response. “Of course it is Soph, you know you can always have your friends’ over.” she said. “Just on question… I know we asked you before what was going on between you two but just for confirmation….”

I smiled at her shyly and nodded. “We’re together.”

A smile made its way onto both of their faces and Mary came over to me quickly, wrapping her arms around me in a hug. “Oh sweetie, that’s great!” she said as she pulled back, her arms still loosely around me. “You know your parents would be so proud to know that both you and your brother are happy.”

When she spoke of my parents I felt tiny tears build up in my eyes but I didn’t let them fall. I knew that my parents would be proud of me because all they really wanted of me or Max was for us to happy, and we were. Instead I produced a smile and hugged my aunt again. “Thank you.” I said quietly.