𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏

Beginne am Anfang

Meredith mumbled a few more words about Peter's father before struggling to take a breath. The small smile that was once on Primrose's face slowly fell at the sight of her mother in pain. Her green eyes stayed glued to the woman in front of her for a long moment before she felt a hand placed on her shoulder, causing her to look up to see her grandfather standing over her and Peter with a solemn look on his face.

"Mer?" he called out to his daughter with a shaky voice before gently squeezing his grandchildren's shoulders, "you got a present there for the kids, don't you?"

Meredith slowly nodded as her fingers grazed over the wrapped boxes sitting on the bed next to her. When she couldn't get a grip on them to give them to her children, their grandfather reached over and grabbed them before putting them in Peter's backpack. Primrose's eyes followed the man's movements until the two colorful boxes were out of sight before turning her attention back to her mother.

Throughout her time in the hospital room, the youngest Quill was beginning to piece things together. Even though she still didn't fully comprehend everything that was going on around her, she was able to come to the conclusion that something terrible was happening to Meredith Quill by the tear-stained faces of her family members. But what gave it away the most to Primrose was the sad look in her older brother's eyes. The same eyes that were always filled with joy, no matter what was happening in the world around him.

"Your grandpa...is gonna take such good care of the two of you. At least until your daddy comes back to get you, Peter. Hopefully, he'll take Prim with him, too," their mother whispered before she reached her hand out towards her children with an emotionless look on her face, "take my hand."

Without an ounce of hesitation, Primrose placed her small hand into her mother's before the two of them waited for Peter to copy the younger girl's actions. When his hand never came, the youngest Quill looked up at her older brother to find him staring back down at the tiles again, unable to meet his mother's eyes. Meredith called out to her son one more time while their grandfather tried to get his grandson to place his hand into his mother's, only for the boy's sniffles to grow louder right before the beeping that once mixed with the voices in the room turned into a long buzzing sound.

At the change of tune from the heart monitor, Prim's attention snapped back to her mother to find the woman's eyes shut and her body unmoving. Tears filled the young girl's eyes while her brother's shouts filled the room. The youngest Quill tried to fully grasp what was happening right as someone picked her up around the waist before she and Peter were taken out of the room and forced back into the chairs in the hallway.

While she stayed frozen in her seat, Peter tried to get back into the room, only for their grandfather to mutter something to the panicking boy. The older Quill sibling became as still as his sister while they watched the man in front of them send them one last sad look before rushing back into the hospital room. Primrose's eyes landed on her brother to see him staring into the room with a stunned expression on his face and tears streaming down his cheeks. Before she could say anything to her brother, he turned and sprinted down the hall.

Without really thinking about it, Primrose got to her feet and ran after her brother, barely being able to keep up with him due to her small toddler legs. The young girl proceeded to follow Peter out of the hospital and onto the lawn right outside. While her brother sat on his knees and cried for their mother, the green-eyed girl stood a few feet away from him, not knowing what to do to make the older boy feel better. This continued for a few moments longer until a blinding light cut through the darkness before the Quill siblings looked up to see a large object flying above them. Fear filled every inch of the four-year-old girl as she rushed forward to grab her brother's hand while keeping her eyes on the ship.

"Pete...what is that?" Primrose questioned as her grip on her brother's hand tightened while tears began to form in her eyes once again.

"I don't know, Rosie," Peter answered his sister before forcing her down on the grass next to him and tightly wrapping his arms around her small form.

Before either of them could say another word, a beam of rainbow light came down and surrounded them. Their screams filled the air as they felt their bodies leave the grass before they were taken into the spaceship and away from their home.

────── ✼✼✼ ──────

────── ✼✼✼ ──────