𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏

────── ✼✼✼ ──────

────── ✼✼✼ ──────

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏
𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐃𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐒

────── ✼✼✼ ──────

Peter sat in the chair next to Primrose with his head down and his hands on his walkman as the two of them waited in the hallway right outside Meredith Quill's hospital room. The younger Quill's feet swung right above the floor as she fiddled with her fingers in her lap, unable to sit still in the silence that surrounded them. Every now and then, the raven-haired girl tried to talk to her older brother in an attempt to break the uncomfortable stillness, only for him to completely ignore the girl while listening to the music playing from his Walkman.

A relieved sigh passed over the Quill girl's lips at the sight of her grandfather walking out of the room across from them. Her eyes stayed glued to him as he made his way across the hall before squatting down in front of his grandchildren. His sad eyes stayed glued to the pair for a long moment before a long breath escaped him as he fiddled with his fingers in the same fashion as his granddaughter.

"Peter," the man said in an attempt to grab his grandson's attention, who was still listening to his music as if his grandfather wasn't right in front of him. When the boy didn't acknowledge the light-haired man, the latter reached forward and took the headphones off of his head before glancing between his grandchildren. "Your momma wants to speak with the two of you."

When their grandfather didn't receive a response from either of his grandchildren, he put Peter's Walkman into his backpack before forcing both kids to their feet and escorting them into the hospital room. Primrose's eyes scanned the room as she took in the faces of all her adult family members before they landed on her mother lying on the bed in the middle of the group. A small smile formed on the young girl's face as she walked a little faster toward her mother before coming to a stop at her side. Meredith sent her daughter a matching smile, knowing that the four-year-old wasn't completely aware of what was happening.

"Your father would be so proud of you. I'm sorry you never got to meet him," the woman whispered while placing her hand on the young girl's cheek right as Peter came to a stop next to his sister. After scanning over Primrose's face one last time, Meredith turned her attention to her firstborn child to find a new bruise under his left eye. "Why have you been fighting with the other boys again, baby?"

"They killed a little frog that ain't done nothing. Smushed it with a stick," Peter mumbled while taking one of Prim's hands into his own for a sense of comfort while keeping his eyes glued to the tiles beneath his feet.

"You're so like your daddy. You even look like him," their mother responded with a sad smile, causing Peter to look up at her for the first time since he entered the room.