"Yes," I reassured. "I just wanted to say hello. You said I could call even if I just wanted to talk."

A small snicker. "Yes, I guess I said that."

"Am I calling at a bad time?" I inquired, just realizing that he may have a social life a bit more exciting than my own, maybe even have plans with a girlfriend.

"No, no, that's OK," he added quickly. "I was just getting ready to go out for dinner with my mom and sister but have a few minutes."

I felt guilty for intruding. "Well, if you have to go...."

He didn't let me finish my sentence. "No, it really is fine." A moment of silence. "So what have you been up to? Are you recuperating?"

I pondered whether to tell him about my argument with Brent and decided to at least give him a few bits of information. "That's actually the reason why I'm calling. My boyfriend doesn't think it's necessary for me to be seen by my OB/GYN."

Kade took in a sharp breath. "Did he threaten you that he would hurt you if you did?"

I realized I was playing with fire. It would be easy to just say 'no' but if I continued with the truth, it would be the first step of betraying Brent. I knew how important it was for him to keep our personal business private.

I went with the option that could get me into a lot of trouble. "Not in so many words but his body language was clear that he won't tolerate disobedience."

I could feel the tension through the phone. "Where is he now?"

"He went out to get us something to eat."

There was a sense of urgency in Kade's voice. "As soon as you hang up, you have to delete this call from your log. He is likely checking your phone periodically for any activity including texts."

I laughed. "You sound absolutely paranoid. Brent would never do that. He trusts me."

He sighed, I could practically see him wring my neck for stupidity. "An abuser likes to control every aspect of your life and that includes all contact you have with anyone outside the relationship. Just please - trust me on this one."

"OK, ok." I didn't feel like arguing about this. "How about the doctor's appointment?"

"Swing by the hospital on Friday. I'm working all day and leave a note with the receptionist to call me when you get there."

"Great." I heard the downstairs door opening. "I have to go."

I cut the line in an instant. For a moment, I just stared at the phone, wondering whether I should go with his advice. It couldn't do any harm, that much was certain. I found the log and deleted the call and tossed the cell on the bed. A minute later, Brent came upstairs.

"Do you want to eat in bed and watch a movie?" His eyes fell on my phone on the duvet and there was a slight narrowing of his eyes but he didn't say anything.

"Sure, I'd like that." I was really looking forward to a relaxed evening in bed. "Do you mind if I take a quick shower first? I feel a little sticky."

"Not at all."

I slid out the bed and was heading for the bathroom when I remembered I better grab a fresh pair of underwear and new PJs. I turned around and froze in the doorway of the bedroom. Brent was standing with his back turned to me, my phone in his hand.

"What are you doing?" I asked, relieved that I had listened to Kade.

He spun around with a startle. "Nothing." He seemed guilt stricken. "I have to go back to college tomorrow and thought I'd program the number for the main office into your phone so you could get a hold of me in an emergency when I'm in class."

Smooth save. I didn't believe a word he had said but sure was not going to challenge him. It could raise his suspicion that I was just as guilty of wrongdoing as he was. "That's a good idea. Thanks."

I rummaged through my drawers until I found the PJs I was looking for. When I tried to leave, he blocked my way.

"You know, I trust you explicitly." It was an odd thing to say and his eyes spoke differently. "After all, I love you."

The energy in the air was explosive - a wrong word could have turned the whole situation ugly.

"I would never doubt you," I claimed, trying to sound sincere.

Just an hour ago, this statement would have been true, now it was a total lie. I wasn't certain if I was truly thankful for Kade to have opened my eyes to this little detail but I sure was glad I didn't get caught for calling him. Otherwise, instead of dinner, I would likely spend the rest of the evening nursing my bruised body.

So Rena is slowly catching on. What do you think? Is the playing with fire about to get burned or will her cry for help get her out of the bad situation? Maybe Brent will also pull another rabbit out of the hat and convinces her that his actions are innocent.

Thanks for reading. Comment and please vote if this chapter deserved it XD