Chapter 2: Together

Nell's hands rested in each of her fathers as they made their way through the bustling crowd of Kings Cross Station. Upon seeing platform nine and ten the girl rushed forwards with excitement, dragging her fathers behind her and almost tripping Sirius up in the process who was carrying her trunk in his other hand. "Pup slow down, we can barely keep up."

She watched as Harry, his brother and his parents passed through the wall to the hidden platform on the other side and was anxious to join them. "Come on, come on!" The men laughed at the ecstatic girl between them.

As they reached the wall Remus looked down at his daughter and then back up to his husband. This would be the first time they had both returned to this platform since they had left together at the end of 7th year. "Ready?"

Sirius and Nell smiled back at him at once.
"Ready."
And at that they passed through the barrier hand in hand emerging to find themselves surrounded by people dressed in colourful robes and hats, rather than the muggle fashion on the other side.

Nell's eyes lit up at the sight of the scarlet train before her, she let go of her father's hands and quickly caught up with Harry, jumping on his back from behind. "It's amazing isn't it!"

"So amazing" Harry agreed, turning his head to face his friend. "And to think we get we'll get to ride it for the next seven years."

Sirius and Remus quickly caught up and appeared behind them, "Nell! Don't run off like that!"
She quickly jumped off of Harry's back as he whispered in her ear. "You're in trouble"
She shoved him in the arm, "Shut up Harry"
"Sorry Dad, I just got excited"

"It's alright sweetheart, just don't do it again."
Sirius opened his arms, "Now come here"
Harry turned to say goodbye to his parents as Nell embraced hers.

"We are going to miss you so much Pup, you have no idea.", Sirius hugged his daughter tighter.
"I know, me too." She mumbled into their chests until Remus pulled her out in front him and brushed the hair out of her face.
"Listen to us, you're going to have the most amazing time, we just know it, and Christmas is just around the corner, so just, remember to be careful and don't push yourself too hard."
"And have fun!" Sirius piped in.
Remus chuckled, "Yes, but not too much fun."
As the train sounded its whistle they both reached down to hug their daughter one last time.
"We love you."
"So much."
"I love you too"

The fathers stood up to join James and Lily who were also just letting Harry go, Lily lingering in the hug with her son a little longer, struggling to hold back her tears, "We love you Harry, and me your father are so proud"
"I love you both too mum."

The four parents huddled together as their children stepped towards the train, pausing as they reached the train door. Harry reached down and took Nell's hand in his, she squeezed his hand in response.
"Together?"
"Together."

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Harry and Nell walked the hall of the train hand in hand, searching for an empty compartment. "Here", Harry pulled the girl through the door of a compartment, pushing his trunk onto the rack above him before helping Nell with hers.

The two collapsed onto the seats facing each other as Nell let out a long sigh, "Guess we're in for a long journey huh?"

Harry smirked, "Well we are going all the way to Scotland you know,"
Nell reached out with her legs to kick him but he swerved, " I know that you idiot"
"Okay, okay, I'm sorry, I surrender! Nell! Get off!" The two kids erupted into laughter as Nell had dived on top of Harry tackling him to the floor.

"Okay so changing the subject before you murder me, what house do you want to get put in?."
"Gryffindor" they both immediately said in unison.
"Of course grffindor Harry, we've only been talking about it since we were five!"
"I know, I know"

The two settled into a comfortable silence as Harry looked out the window at the passing scenery and Nell fiddled with her fingers. A question that she had been pushing to to the back of her mind made its way back into her thoughts.

"Harry.."
Harry looked away from the window to face his best friend who kept her eyes glued on the floor. "Yeah?"
"What if we don't get put in the same house? Her voice was barely above a whisper at this point.

Harry reached out to grab her hand, causing her to look up and face him. "We will"
She shook her head, "But what if,"
"We will Nells, we're a Potter and a Lupin-Black, there's no way they'll split us up."

She nodded softly in response but before she could say anything else the door to the compartment flew open to reveal a small, freckled, red headed boy who looked between the two already sat in the compartment.

"Do you mind? Everywhere else is full" He looked to the empty seat beside Harry.

Nell smiled sweetly at the boy, she was excited by the idea of her and Harry making their first new friend. "No, not at all."

After pushing his trunk onto the rack the boy sat down beside Harry and turned to face him, "I'm Ron, Ron Weasley"

"I'm Harry Potter, and that's Nell, my best friend" He gestured to Nell who was sat opposite him and as Ron turned to face her his eyes widened with surprise.

"Your face!"
Nell felt herself sinking further into her seat, as the boy pointed to her scars, wanting nothing more than for it to open up and swallow her. "Oh" was all she could squeak out as she stared at the floor.

Watching her face fall the redhead soon realised his mistake, "No no, I didn't mean it like that, I think they're cool."

Harry jumped in as he saw Nell struggling to respond, "They are cool, badass in fact," He winked as she looked up to thank him with a look. Harry of course knew about Nell's condition, and of course it didn't matter the slightest to him and he certainly wasn't going to let anyone give her any hassle about it.

Ron really hadn't meant what he had said, in fact he thought the girl in front of him was quite beautiful, he wasn't planning on sharing that thought though, but it sort of slipped out, "Yeah, and you're like really pretty too."

His face went as red as his hair as he realised what he just said, and Nell too felt the blood rush to her face and unknowingly her hair turned a pinkish orange colour in embarrassment.

"Woah! Your hair! You're a metamorphagus?"
Grateful that the attention was off her scars Nell looked up and laughed. "Oh yeah, want to see something cool? Watch this."

She morphed the features on her face until another Harry sat opposite the redhead. "Woah!!"

For the rest of the journey the three kids bonded as they learnt more about each other and by the time they arrived Nell had completely forgotten about their uncomfortable first conversation.