Chapter 64: The Order

Tw: Very very brief mention of drugs (don't do drugs kids)

A black outline of rooftops was etched onto the painted morning sky of West London as the sun peeked up from behind it, a gentle hue of mist hovering above them as the daylight warmth melted the night's dew.

Remus and Nell sat crossed legged, side by side and taking in the view through gaps between a black metal frame. They sat on the single balcony of twelve Grimmauld Place, fenced with a black railing, sharing a bar of milk chocolate in the peaceful silence of the beginning of the day.

After her frustration with Dumbledore, the combination of the company, the chocolate and the view seemed to be exactly what Nell needed to just breathe, and really breathe. Not the dusty stuffy air of the house, not even just the fresh air of outside but breathe in way which allowed her to really feel the coldness filling and leaving her lungs in deep rises and falls. To enjoy a moment in which time almost seemed to slow to a point where she could exist for as long as she wanted if she wished to.

"What are we doing out here then?" Sirius said, appearing in the doorway to the balcony where the pair sat.

"Contemplating life over chocolate" Remus said, looking up to Sirius and Nell hummed in agreement.

"For a second I worried I was going to find you out here teaching our daughter how to roll a joint like when we used to get stressed" Sirius joked as his daughter's head snapped towards him.

"What- you-" Her eyes flew wide at his words as her head darted between her two fathers, mouth gaped open.

"Take no notice of your Dad, he's a filthy liar, we did no such thing" Remus quickly dismissed the idea, glaring playfully across to his husband.

"Ah of course, we were the best behaved students Hogwarts had ever seen" Sirius nodded surely, his words dripping with sarcasm as he sat down on Nell's left, bending his knees up and resting his arms over them.

The girl remained staring at him, mouth hanging open in confusion and shock, her expression making Sirius smirk.

"Don't do drugs" he said, pointing a finger and feigning firmness but amusement could quite obviously be seen playing through his eyes.

Remus could simply roll his eyes at his husband's childish actions.

The small family turned their attention back to the view in front of them, the morning sun's intensity expanding into a sea of glowing orange cloud, pink ripples lapping gently across it.

"What's going to happen?" Nell asked quietly after a few moments of just the birds chirping through the wind, her eyes fixed on the sky ahead.

"What do you mean?" Remus asked his daughter even though it was clear to all three of them what she was asking.

The wizarding world was on the brink of war and everyone could feel it. Sirius pulled an arm around his daughter as he recalled the daunting chill of the impending war and how harrowingly familiar it felt to the first one.

"There's things you're not telling me, aren't there? Bad things" she said, her voice even quieter as she finally turned to look between the two who were sharing a look.

"Things like why he knew who I was, what does it all mean?" She added when neither of them said anything, simply not knowing what to say.