Chapter 8

Minor spoiler warning for Trials of Apollo: The Tyrants Tomb!

Reyna’s P.O.V

“Don't. Move.”  Reyna whispered.  The girls were still turned the other direction, staring at Thalia at the mouth of the cave.  Thalia saw the creature and froze where she stood. It would tower above the trees if it wasn’t trying to hide.  

 A normal fox would have red or grayish colored fur, but the Teumessian fox’s fur was dark as the night sky.  Its eyes, just as dark, looked as though they were full of stars.  Drool dripped down its white chin, and its blood red front paws dug into the ground like stakes.  

The fox was supposed to be a beautiful constellation in the sky.  A reminder of a great legend of the fox that could never be caught.  

As it breathed, the warm air blew back the loose strands in Reyna’s hair.  Thalia was the first to break the stillness, aiming her bow at the beast's head.  The fox bared its huge canine teeth at her, a deep growl rising in its throat.  Reyna knew Thalia was trying to make it come after her so they could escape, but the fox did not budge.  

Helena started to mumble something under her breath.  A spell.  Suddenly, the fox was confused.  Its eyes looked around frantically, like it couldn't see anything.  

Reyna realized that she couldn't see the others.  She looked down at herself and her eyes widened in shock.  Her body blended in with the tree.  Helena's spell had made them camouflage with the environment!  

The spell wasn't lasting.  She could see the others for a brief moment as the spell flickered.  Reyna surged forward and grabbed Helena’s arm while Lani supported her other side.  Together, the girls sprinted toward the cave mouth where Thalia had started to shoot arrows at the confused fox.  

It was pitch black inside the cave.  Helena leaned heavily on Reyna, her arm trembling.  

"Thalia?" She whispered.  No answer.  Reyna felt the other girls at her back standing in a close huddle.  

“Hello?  Thalia, is that you?”  A voice whispered in the blackness.  It didn’t sound like anyone Reyna was traveling with.  More hushed whispers erupted from the shadows.  

"Sandy!  It's so good to hear your voice!  Hold on, we have a slight setback, but we will get you girls out of here."  Lani told the voices.  

In the corner of Reyna's eye, a small glow had started to illuminate the cave.  A blonde girl was lit up like a glowstick.  The light revealed the trapped huntresses stuck in a cage made of bones.  

"Thanks for the light Sara!"  Sky gave the blonde a thumbs up. 

"Are the werewolves here?"  Reyna asked them.  

"The werewolves have gone hunting, but they will soon return."  An African American girl told her.  She wore a silver circlet on her head, similar to Thalia's.  Wasn't Thalia Artemis’s lieutenant?  

The other huntresses stood behind the girl, as if awaiting her orders.  She stood tall, much taller than Reyna, though Reyna never considered herself to be that short.  For some reason, this girl reminded her very much of her friend Frank Zhang, son of Mars, the God of war.  She carried herself in a similar way.  

Reyna and Lani eased an unconscious Helena onto the rocky ground.  Even if Reyna and Daria lent her strength, Helena had to be awake for it to work since it wasn’t technically a power that could heal her.  

A thunder crash shook the earth, making Reyna fall to her knees.  Mia’s eyes widened in panic and she dashed outside to help Thalia.  

The werewolves would return soon.  They had to think of a way to get this cage open.  Many huntresses were wounded and needed medical attention.