Chapter 13 Trying to move on

"Zaire! Zaire!" his mother exclaimed as she ran towards him. 

She knelt down beside him and placed one hand on his forehead, by this time his face had turned pale. 

'Could it be exhaustion?' she thought.

She then dialed the chairman and then her personal doctors. She continued to monitor his pulse and followed the doctor's instructions over the phone.

Fifteen minutes later, the doorbell rang and everyone came rushing in all at once. After his mother had informed the five doctors present of what transpired, she was summoned by the chairman to inform him about everything that happened from she entered the apartment. 

Mrs. Christian tried to plead her innocence as she was emphasizing that she had no other choice but to vent her anger at the person's sister that caused her so much pain. 

"I only came to talk with Zaire about our relationship, but she just happened to be here. I can't believe that she has been living well off all this time when her sister destroyed my marriage" she continued.

"What were your true motives for being here? Didn't I warn you that your presence would only  cause him to regress?!" his grandfather asked sternly.

His mother nodded and bowed her head as the chairman vented his anger at her irrational and uncalled for behaviour. 

"Couldn't your quest for revenge have waited? If you hadn't been this vindictive we wouldn't be having this conversation right now!" the chairman exclaimed.

"I did it for us" she pleaded while gesturing with her hands. 

"Did you indeed do this for Zaire? Then why is he lying there? I warned you in the past that if you reappeared in his future and caused him any pain, it would be the end of you and your career!" he exclaimed while gesturing with his hand. 

By this time, Scott had joined them and tried to calm down the chairman. Scott was the only one who knew that he was ill as he was always the only one present at his doctor's appointments. 

 He made him promise to keep it a secret from Zaire for the time being as he wanted him to focus on his studies and enjoy his youthful years. 

"Mrs. Christian, I think you and your doctors should leave for now. We and our doctors will take care of him from here" Scott said.

He then placed one hand around the chairman for support and used the other to show her the door. 

"He is my son! At least let me know what's going on and where you're going to take him!" she exclaimed as the tears streamed down her face.

"Are these genuine tears? Are you really crying because Zaire is ill or is it because you will no longer benefit from the Christian household? Either way, you gave up your parenting rights years ago" Scott scoffed as he led the chairman over to where the doctors were. 

She stood there unable to rebut what Scott had said as she was caught off guard by his scornful attitude towards her. Mrs. Christian knew that they never really saw eye to eye, but she didn't expect that he would think that she would have tried to harm her own son intentionally. 

She then walked towards the door while using her hands to wipe the tears from her eyes. She then glanced back for a moment at everyone who were left in the room.  She had now realized that the revenge she had sought all those years, were not worth it, if it meant that her son would be the one to get hurt in the end. 

"Should I get the car?" her chauffeur inquired. 

"Not yet. I will wait until I've seen them leaving the apartment" she replied.