Friends and New Ones

"Let's sit by the window" Drake suggests

We sit at a small table with a view of the street.  I look at the menu and decide to have a ham salad sandwich with a glass of fresh orange juice.  

We give our orders when the waitress comes over. Drake helps out when she asks what kind of bread I want and then what type of ham and cheese. 

"Wow, in the UK you get the choice of brown or white bread? I have never tried a meatball sub, are they good?" I ask

"I like them and I too was a little intimidated when I first went to a subway restaurant .  There you get a choice from 6 different bread's 3 or 4 different cheeses and then you have to decide it you want it toasted or not and then tell them what salad stuff you want on it.  You breath a sigh of relief and then they ask you if you want any sauces, salt and pepper? I nearly walked out, it gets better with practise though" he tells me. 

I never knew there were so many different types of bread.  

I shake my head "I will go with someone if subway is mentioned" I tell him and he smiles at me as our drinks are brought to the table. 

"Would you like to share a little of your juice and I'll share my sprite? When mixed together they are very good" he asks

I shrug and then hold out my glass of juice.  He pours some of it into his glass before opening the can of sprite and sharing that between us.  

I take a sip and nod my head "it is good, refreshing" I agree and he nods taking a sip of his.  

"You will have to remember to ask for a sprite or seven up if you want lemonade.  If you ask for lemonade here you get a drink made from real lemons and sugar water" he tells me.  

"Thank you, I hate lemons but like lemonade as in UK lemonade" I thank him he smiles 

"No one told me and I had to drink this tall glass of real lemonade.  I nearly threw up" he shudders at the memory causing me to smile.  

"If I remember rightly your parents are well known scientists too?" he says

I nod my head "nearly everyone in the science world knows of Dr F and Dr L Adams" I admit.  

"It must have been great growing up and having parents to help you with your science homework?" Drake says 

I can't help but laugh a little "my Grandmother moved in a couple of days after I was born because my parents couldn't get me to stop crying.  She realised that they had no idea on how to look after a small baby and took over my care.  They left shortly afterwards to Africa and I didn't see them again for nearly two years.  

They stayed a little longer as I was able to walk and talk a little and my mother was about to give birth again.  My parents really have no idea how to care for children.  My Grandmother bought us up and took care of us.  She always read out the letters or emails my parents sent and sent them news of us.  

It has only been in the last 4 years since she passed, that Mum and Dad seem to have realised just how much she did for them.  I had to interview the people that came for the housekeeper position.  I was worried they would hire the first person they saw" I say laughing again.  

"Wow! I would never have imagined them being like that? When I have seen them during interviews they seem so knowledgeable" Drake says shaking his head 

"They are, in their fields of expertise but everyday life, common sense, they have little of that" I explain.  

"So, you have been looking after your brother?" he wonders