Chapter 11: Festival of the Sea Emperor

Depuis le début

Lyra brushed the skirt of her dress and prepared herself for the next well-wisher, all but jumping out of her skin when Siris and the oracle guards drove forwards. Spears swirled in the air, anticipating the order to strike.

"Come no further," Siris warned.

Lyra gestured for her friends to remain seated and strode towards commotion to see for herself what had riled their protectors.

"We do not wish you any harm," Annis said. "All we want is to offer a gift, and then we will be on our way." She held her hands out to put as much distance between herself and the sharp weaponry as possible. Mella didn't seem to have the same concern.

"Let them through," Lyra instructed. Mutterings emerged from the observing crowd, and she traded a brief assuring glance with Siris.

The loyal guards lowered their spears and stood back to permit Annis and Mella through their ranks. Siris kept his hardened stare on them, standing by for the slightest hint of ill intent.

"You and your friends look marvellous," Annis said, inclining her head to the three humans seated behind Lyra. "I hope you're all enjoying the festivities."

"The citizens of your city have welcomed us with warmth and kindness," Lyra told her. "We feel honoured to be here. It would be difficult not to enjoy it."

The cordial councillor appeared to want to say something, to speak on her own terms, but her hesitation cost her the moment of bravery. After a nudge in the side from Mella, she withdrew a shell from her pocket, presenting it to the guest of honour. "The pearl inside is rare. We'd like you to have this one as an apology for our behaviour towards you when we first met."

Annis had nothing to apologise for in Lyra's mind, but she appreciated the sentiment. She allowed an oracle to take the rainbow-speckled shell, and upon returning to her visitors, extended a hand out to each of them. Annis was keen to accept the gesture, but Mella held back. "I don't like the situation any more than you do," she said. "We can't alter the past, but we can work through this together. I understand your dislike of me, but surely harbouring hatred will only hurt those you're trying to protect."

"You understand nothing," Mella spat. "Do you think that some pathetic words will sway me? You stole the power of our queen and I will never forgive you for that. Your kind are greedy. You strive for more and take it from whatever you can." Her rigid form tightened further before she took her leave. She shoved past those waiting to meet the thief and disappeared amongst flowers and confusion.

"I'm sorry," Annis whispered, all too aware of the attention Mella had forced upon her. "Should you ever require help, please do not be afraid to ask."

Voices clamoured at the shocking spectacle, and Lyra signalled for the oracle arranging the presents to join her. "Archseer Dione, will you grant Councillor Annis your blessings?"

Deema rose to meet her on her way back. "Perhaps we should take a break," the head of the sect suggested. She spoke with her nephew in their own language, instructions darting between them before the pair went their separate ways.

"We have the honour of beginning the first dance. Come with me," Siris instructed, leading the four visitors away from the cluster of citizens and towards the circular dancefloor. He paired himself with Lyra as his aunt had advised, Hunter with Samuel, and Cassidy with an oracle guard called Marna. The orchestra began.

After the success of the opening dance, the night progressed with no other hindrances. Mella's act of hostility became drowned in the excitement, but her stinging words hung over Lyra.

Pathetic.

Lyra beamed and talked to as many people as she could, laughing openly and revelling in their company.