Chapter 3 - His Bride

It had been more than a month since that incident happened, but I couldn’t find a clue why Luther killed Mr. Carpenter. He was innocent. After that day I searched for everything about Luther and ended up shocked.

Mr. Luther Spraggins was the owner of one of the leading companies across the world. This company was a leader in consulting digital services, software development, and digital marketing. But those were the things only for the show. What they do, supplying illegal weapons, drugs, and gambling. Even Luther had owned several pubs and clubs across the country. Despite that, he was not a mafia or gang leader?

Ugh! Strange, isn’t it?

I didn’t know whether I could bring Daisy justice. But I wanted Luther to be punished. How cruelly he had killed her husband? She still couldn’t believe that her husband had died. She was still in shock. Whenever I thought about her and those children, my heart ached.

Shaking away her thoughts, I searched for further information about Luther. My eyes widened in surprise when a tall and muscular man’s picture appeared on my laptop screen. He had dark eyes, dark hair, chiseled cheekbones, and a five o’clock shadow. Beautiful, my inner voice blurted. He had the kind of face that stopped women in the tracks. All they have to do was just take one look at him. But who knows what kind of man he is from inside!

I tapped another page. This time, he had a gorgeous woman in his arms. I read the headline, ‘The owner of Spraggins announced his engagement to Princess Winnifred on Christmas Eve.’ The redhead girl in the picture was his fiancée. Poor princess! She deserves a prince, not a monster!

I read out a brief description of his fiancée. Winnifred Laura Devito was nineteen years old and the spoiled princess of Ardenion. It was a small European state that was between France and Switzerland. When she turned seventeen, she was sent to California for further studies, but who knows that she would end up with Spraggins Luther!

A thirty-two-year-old man was going to marry a nineteen-year-old girl! Oh my gosh! And what shocked me was the day of their wedding. 

I just didn’t want to read anything about him anymore. He was cruel! I shut down the laptop, leaned against the couch, thinking about the orphanage. Since Mr. Carpenter died I had to take care of children but how? Jesus! I wanted to give them a better life.

Suddenly, my phone chimed, making me look at it. I grabbed my phone and glanced at the screen; it was my brother. I instantly picked up and said, “Hey, what’s up?”

“Noelle…!!” Ned breathed hard as if he was running. “Where are you?”

I frowned.

“Of course, home. Why are you asking me this question?” I said, worried, “Is everything alright?”

He kept quiet for a moment. “Noelle, pack your things. We’re leaving the country.”

And he exploded the bomb!

“What?” I blurted in disbelief. “Are you okay, Ned? You’re acting so weird. Why are you speaking like this?”

“Listen, Noelle, we don’t have enough time to just pack your things. I’ll be there in an hour. I’ll tell you everything. Just do what you’re being told,” he said impatiently.

“Ned, are you crazy? Why are you talking like this?”

“Noelle, My life is in danger, we have to leave this country as soon as possible!”

And I froze.

“What?” I exclaimed a moment later, panicked, “Ned..” before I could speak further he had already hung up.