10

Ava McNeill, much like her best friend, had never been successful when it came to the world of dating. She had been on numerous dates over the years and only ever had one real boyfriend. Even then, she still couldn't see any real appeal that Jacob had ever had. The thought of him made her shudder. He had been her high school boyfriend and was way too hands-on for her liking.

Despite her many dates that had ended in failure, Ava's mother, Simone was adamant that her daughter needed a man and was continuously setting her up on new dates. Olivia couldn't lie, she found it almost funny that both of their parents were so involved in their love lives.

"Another failed date?" Olivia asked her best friend who had made her way into the house, slipping her heels off and kicking them near the front door.

The brunette girl was sitting on their couch, watching whatever football match was on the TV. She had been texting Matty her thoughts on the match, complaining when free kicks weren't giving or when she couldn't understand why VAR hadn't reached a final decision after several minutes of checking. She had received multiple text messages back from him, he too sharing his thoughts and each text message from him caused a smile to appear on Olivia's face.

"Nope." Ava smiled although she seemed hesitant to share any other details with her best friend which only caused Olivia to furrow her eyebrows and wonder what it was that was causing the blonde to hold back. They shared everything and never had any secrets between each other.

"What is it that you're not telling me? Has he made you sign some sort of non-disclosure agreement?" Olivia was joking as she asked the question. It was her attempt at trying to break the tension and get her friend talking but Ava only gave her a tight-lipped smile.

Olivia started to worry. She couldn't figure out what Ava was withholding from her. Her mind started to wander to places that she wished it wouldn't go to. Had she been on a date with Jordan? The boy who had ghosted her? The one who had left her for her best friend before Ava? Was it her dad? She shuddered at the thought and wished that the blonde girl would hurry up and stop the suspense. It was killing her.

"Not he but she," Ava spoke with caution, twiddling her fingers anxiously as she awaited the response of her best friend. She hadn't come out to anyone yet and Olivia was the first person that she was speaking to about it.

"I'm gay." She whispered, tears in her eyes as she spoke the words that she had felt so scared to speak out loud before but as she said them, she felt a heavy weight being lifted off of her shoulders.

Olivia didn't say anything. Instead, she jumped over the back of the couch and engulfed her best friend into a tight hug. Both girls burst into tears. Olivia couldn't be prouder of her friend for coming to terms with who she really was and having the courage to come out to her. Ava, on the other hand, felt a huge wave of relief wash over her at the fact that she had been accepted by her sister from another mister. Her sexuality had been something that she had been battling for years and it felt good to finally have it out in the open, even if it was to just one person.

"I love you no matter what. You know that right?" Olivia pulled away from the hug and rested her forehead against Ava's looking into her crystal blue eyes. She needed her friend to know that they would always be sisters regardless of who they loved.

"Always." Ava smiled and the two girls slumped down on the couch together, Olivia's head laying on Ava's lap.

The sound of the referee's whistle indicated the end of the match and without checking the full-time score, Olivia turned the TV off and turned her attention to her housemate. She wanted to know everything about the girl that she was now seeing. She needed to know that she was good enough for Ava. It was what Ava would do for her and so it was only right for her to do the same for her. They had been through enough heartbreak together and if they had any chance of avoiding yet another broken heart, they would most certainly take the opportunity.

"She's amazing and you won't have to worry about me taking any future boyfriends." Ava giggled and Olivia had no choice but to laugh along. She had always trusted her and knew that it was nothing more than a joke between friends.

"My Mum is having a dinner party on Friday and I was planning on coming out to my family then. Will you come with me and help me? You can bring Matty too." Ava asked. She really needed all the moral support that she could get to help her come out to her traditional family. She had no idea how it was going to go but she knew that through it all, she would have Olivia by her side and possibly even Matty too if he was willing to stick around for a bit longer.

"Of course I will, baby girl. You've got this." Olivia squeezed Ava's hand tightly and the blonde girl could only smile at her friend.

The two girls were grateful to have found each other. They were each other's family when they needed a sister.

"Chick flick time?" Olivia offered.

"You bet." Ava agreed and searched Netflix for their favourite chick flick.

Before Olivia could settle and watch the film with her best friend, she needed to send one last quick text to Matty:

Ava's invited us to her mum's dinner party on Friday. You in? x

note from e !

Hello, again! Long time no see? Terrible joke considering I updated just a few minutes before but that's what you get with me: really bad jokes.

Anyway, I was just going to post two chapters tonight but if I remember correctly (and it has been almost two years since I originally wrote this), the next chapter is where things heat up (in terms of the plot) so, I will double check and if you get a third update, fabulous, if you don't, sorry?

MESSI SCORED FOR ARGENTINA!!!!!!! The goat 🐐

Who do you think will win golden boat this tournament?
- Mbappe I think will get it this time.

Enjoy and stay safe!

Lots of love, e x