Chapter 20 - Home Is Where The Heart Is

Start from the beginning

                “I can’t, Mom.” Taylor knew she should know better than to go to her Mom’s place today. She didn’t need any more drama than she already had. “I have work today.”

                “But you’re always working. I can’t even remember the last time I saw you.”

                “You don’t remember because you don’t really pay attention.” Taylor rolled her eyes.

                “What?”

                “Nothing, Ma. What do you want me to do? Leave my work to go see you? There are other days. I’ll just come visit you then. Just, not now. I’ve got a lot going on.”

                “Yes, but on those days, you spend your time with your girlfriend and her family. What about me? I haven’t even met her yet. I’d like to know her.”

                Taylor found it ironic that her mom suddenly had an interest in Laura when they weren’t together anymore. But she didn’t wanna tell her that. She wouldn’t understand anyway. “Mom, I really can’t.”

                “Taylor, honey. Please?”

                She wanted to keep saying no. But then she realized that maybe it was better to go visit her mom. Maybe it would keep her mind off things right now. Her mom was probably gonna replace them with some other things that’d drive her insane but she could handle that a lot better than what she’s going through with Laura right now. She then sighed. “Fine. I’ll go.”

-o-o-o-

                Taylor arrived at her Mom’s place a few hours later. “Is Sam here?”

                “He was here a few days ago. I don’t know when he’d be back, though. Did you eat? I prepared something.”

                “Not starving, Mom. I’m gonna go to my bed, okay?”

                Patricia noticed that Taylor was different today. She knew her daughter had never been really excited about being here every time she was. She didn’t blame her, though. It was her fault that Taylor was never close to her. But she had tried reaching out, and failed all the time... until she just stopped.

                “Taylor, you’re rarely here. And when you do come, all you do is stay in your bed. I prepared something to eat, and I’d really want you to join me.”

                Taylor had no strength to argue with her mother today so she sighed and said, “Fine. I’m just gonna go freshen up for a bit then I’ll come down.”

                She went inside her room and slumped down on her bed. She snapped her eyes shut but even then, she still saw Laura. She opened her eyes again. It was killing her how much she missed her. Absentmindedly, she held on to the necklace she was wearing. This was the gift Laura gave her last Christmas. They were still so happy back then. Now, that was all just a blur.

                Before she realized it, tears were rolling down her cheeks again.

                She abruptly stood up, and wiped the tears away, quite hardly. She wasn’t going to cry anymore. This was the last time. So she breathed deeply, and stood up. Then, as if it was the only thing that was keeping her back, that was keeping her from finally leaving everything behind, she took the necklace off.

                Now, it was time to face her mother.

-o-o-o-

                They were eating and having conversation... if you could call that a conversation. Patricia would ask a question and then Taylor would answer and that was it. She had no plans of keeping the conversation going. She just wanted to finish her food then go straight to bed and stay there all day.