Chapter Eleven

"How is the job hunting going?" Colton asked Kayla as he scrolled up and down his iPhone and Kayla took a drink of water. They had just sat down for a quick lunch before Colton had to go back to work. He had been out with a few of his friends and had on a hat sitting backwards on his head, a white t-shirt and black board shorts with flip-flops. Kayla had on a light pink ruffled tank top and blue jeans and black Ray Ban sunglasses on.

"I've handed out a few resumes and had a couple of interviews but no call backs yet," Kayla answered as she leaned back for their food to be placed in front of them. Colton nodded in recognition of her answer but she knew he was only half listening to her. Ever since the night they kissed their relationship had come to a startling stop and had become awkward again.

"That's good. Oh your new cards all came in today with your changed name I guess," Colton said as he twirled his fork in his food.

"Okay, thanks. I'll have to put them all in my wallet when I get home," Kayla said picking up her quesadilla. The rest of their meal was complete silence and Kayla noticed that their long silences were no longer awkward. She also noticed that now that she was wearing her wedding ring she no longer received any weird looks when she mentioned her husband or when the paparazzi followed her and asked her about it. When they finished eating Colton drove Kayla home and drove back to work for another busy day. Kayla could tell his work was starting to become more and more stressful.

When Kayla walked into the house both Rocky and Casey came running towards her barking. She bent down to pet them and stood back up to answer the ringing phone.

"Hello," Kayla said as she looked through her stack of mail.

"Hi, Kayla? This is Evelyn Stevens from Harper High Private School," the lady on the line said. Kayla dropped the mail back onto the table and froze.

"Hi!" She said in a high-pitched squeaky voice. "It's nice to hear from you." She was beyond excited that Harper had called her back.

"I'd hope maybe you could come in for an interview possibly tomorrow," Ms. Stevens said. Kayla began jumping up and down.

"Yes, I would love to," she said excitedly.

"That's great. I'm thinking you should come in around 10am and just come into the front office," Ms. Stevens said.

"That's perfect. I'll be there. Thank you so much! See you tomorrow," Kayla said excitedly, Ms. Stevens said goodbye and Kayla hung up the phone and began screaming with excitement. She was dancing around the house and the dogs were following her around the house barking. Kayla decided that she would cook dinner and went out grocery shopping for Colton's favorite dinner: steak. Colton realized that the day was going to be a long day when he got back to the office after his lunch with Kayla. He was beginning to work very closely with Alexis and designing the new hotels that she wanted to set up.

"I'm giving you and only you free reign with this Colton," Alexis said as they sat down in his office. She noticed his very relaxed dress and looked at him raising one eyebrow. He smiled sheepishly at her and sat behind his desk across from her.

"Free reign? You're trusting me with that?" Colton said.

"Yes, I know your smart and creative. I'm sure you could come up with a hotel chain that will be perfect for everyone and I want you to design the entire hotel. Every room, every bathroom, every pool, every everything," Alexis said seriously. Colton was surprised. He wasn't expecting that much responsibility when he signed the deal, but he was also glad to have someone trust him with so much.

"Thanks. Don't worry, these hotels will be amazing," Colton said standing up to walk Alexis to the elevator. When they got there Alexis gave him a hug and walked into the elevator and turned around to face him.