Chapter Ten

When Colton woke in the morning he found that his arm was still outstretched and that he and Kayla had held hands the entire night. Colton let go of her hand and slipped out of bed without making a sound and tiptoed to the bathroom to have a shower. He then got out of the shower and walked to his closet to change into a suit before he went to work. He quietly left the house knowing that Kayla had the day off from school and exams so he tried to leave the house without making a sound so she could sleep in. When he left he got in his Porsche and drove off quickly. When Kayla woke up she looked at the clock and realized it was 10am. She jumped out of bed and rushed downstairs to get ready but realized that she had the day off and then felt like a complete idiot. When she made herself breakfast and had a hot bath she got dressed in a pair of jeans and a red plaid shirt with a black blazer and headed out to do some shopping. She had Colton's credit card but knew she shouldn't spend too much money on it as the last time he wasn't too pleased with the amount of bags she came home with. When she was walking down the street she noticed a pet store that had puppies in the front window. One puppy caught her eye; a little beagle girl named Casey. Kayla walked in and was greeted by the cashier.

"Hello, how are you today?" She asked nicely smiling at Kayla.

"I'm good thank you. How are you?" Kayla said back smiling at her. The nametag on her shirt said Emily and her sandy blonde hair was done up in a tight bun. Kayla walked over to where the glass case holding Casey and ten other little puppies were and stared at her smiling.

"Good, thanks. Would you like to hold her?" Emily said as she walked over to the case. Kayla shook her head and Emily reached down inside the case and picked Casey up and handed her to Kayla. When Kayla was holding the puppy she immediately fell in love with her. Kayla thought that if she took a picture of Casey and her together and sent it to Colton he might let her get it.

"Can you take a picture of me and Casey?" Kayla asked handing Emily her phone. Emily nodded and took a couple of pictures and then handed it back to Kayla.

"Thanks," Kayla said as she put Casey back into the glass case.

"Sending the picture to someone?" Emily asked as she gave the puppies a small treat.

"Yeah to my... husband," Kayla said pausing before she said the word 'husband'. It was weird saying that especially since she wasn't wearing a wedding ring. Kayla sent him the pictures and a few seconds later he responded saying: cute puppy, but don't buy it. We should talk about it first. Emily had looked down at Kayla's left hand and made a face Kayla was all too familiar with. The judging face that she wasn't wearing her wedding ring. Kayla never had a reason why she actually didn't wear it but now she realized she didn't like the way people looked at her when she mentioned her husband and wasn't wearing a ring.

"So, are you thinking of adopting her?" Emily asked.

"I would love to. But I have to ask my husband about it when he gets home but I'm sure I'll be able to convince him," Kayla said smiling.

"Well just to let you know that these animals are all ones who were homeless, or abused, or in the pound and we've taken them here in hopes of finding new homes for them," Emily explained. Kayla knew telling Colton this would melt is black heart and he would let her come and buy the puppy.

"That's great. Thank you, hopefully I will be back this week," Kayla said as she left the store. She spent a few more hours shopping and went home with only a couple of bags and no puppy. Colton showed Anna the pictures of Kayla and the puppy and Anna absolutely loved them.

"You should buy her that puppy," Anna said to him handing him back his phone.

"Yeah that would be great. We're trying to work out our relationship and then add the stress of taking care of a puppy," Colton said sarcastically.