Dictator

The sun rose slowly as a new terrible dawn started. The victory trumpets of the Calormenes sounded as the Tisroc approached the castle of Cair Paravel. A young boy with jet black hair approached the Tisroc, who was talking to his advisors, carefully. 

“What is it Tam?” he asked without turning around.

The boy, Tam, tugged at his silver tipped bangs. “Um, the High Queen and King are here.” The Tisroc just “hmmmed” in acknowledgement. “Dad!” Tam said impatiently. The Tisroc finally turned around. Tam took a deep breath and spoke slowly. “I really believe that you should rethink this. She’s not as old as an adult and I just think that it’s going to be harsh for her.”

The Tisroc took a step closer to Tam. “One thing that you must learn if you are ever to become the Tisroc of Calormen, is that you must never give light punishments to the enemy, especially the Narnians.”

Tam clenched his fists, but kept them at his side. “But she is not a Narnian! At least, not really, she is one of us! Human! You can’t punish them as though they are not human! What will the rest of Calormen think?” 

The Tisroc turned to his advisors and they nodded. “I suppose I will be able to rethink their executions.”

“And the kings’?” Tam pressed on.

The Tisroc sighed. “And the kings’.

___________________

Caspian banged on the door for the tenth time. 

“It’s not going to work.” Lauren said, sighing. “They aren’t going to let us out. Caspian raised his foot to kick the dungeon door again, but stopped and sat down next to Lauren.

“You've never surrendered before.” he told her.

Lauren shrugged. “I had to save the Narnians.” I can’t hurt them like I almost did before.” An awkward silence ensued as they both recalled the events of the previous year. Caspian stared out the iron bars at the Calormene guards. 

A young boy no older than Lauren approached the door. His silver tipped bangs made him look like he was from a book that Lauren would read back on earth. 

“The Tisroc wishes to see you,” the boy said with a look of sympathy as he opened the door. Lauren glanced at Caspian and walked out the door with the latter following.  

The throne room was only a short walk from the dungeon, but when they arrived, Lauren was shocked to see that the Tisroc had moved in and was sitting on her throne. Calormene guards surrounded all possible ways to escape and the Tisroc looked smug as Caspian, Lauren, and Tam approached the throne.

The Tisroc motioned for Tam to approach the throne to his left. The Tisroc whispered to Tam and Lauren was barely able to make out what he had said. “If you are going to succeed me some day, then you better act like you will.” The Tisroc then put his hand on his son’s shoulder and shoved him into the throne next to him. Tam shot Lauren and Caspian another apologetic look and sat farther back in his seat.

The Tisroc cleared his throat and Lauren turned to him, arms crossed against her chest. “My son has swayed me to change your sentences since he apparently still cares for you,” He leaned forward. “Which won’t last long.” he added. “My original plan was to execute the two of you to secure my reign over Narnia, but I have changed it.” He turned to Caspian. You,” he said , pointing to Caspian. “Will be training to be a real Calormene soldier…”

“Why would you want me to be a soldier?” Caspian asked, then leaned over to Lauren. “That is not what I was expecting.”

“I have plans for you Caspian.” The Tisroc said with a smile that gave Lauren a bad feeling. “And for you,” he said pointing at Lauren. “You will be exiled from Narnia and never allowed back. If we catch you in, or even anywhere remotely near this country, I will kill Caspian on the spot and come after you.”

Lauren gritted her teeth and tried to conceal the tingling feeling on her fingers. Ice was threatening to form. A single snowflake floated from her finger to the floor but that was enough for the Tisroc to notice. “And as for that,” he said, motioning to her hands. “I have something that might be able to remedy that problem.” he snapped his fingers and Tam stood up and walked over to Lauren with something in his hands.

Tam grabbed Lauren’s arms and mouthed “sorry” and put something on that resembled a vambrace, but it only came up to half of her forearm and was gold in color. “What is this?” Lauren couldn’t help but ask the obvious question, looking up at the Tisroc.

“Try to use your powers,” he said. Lauren gave him a quizzical look and extended her arms and tried to make a snowball, but nothing came out of her hands. The cold feeling that usually followed had stopped abruptly where the vambrace was. 

The Tisroc chuckled. “That was to ensure that you can't use your powers to help you in any way.”

Calormene guards came into the throne room and approached Lauren and Capsian. Two went over to Lauren and two to Caspian.

The guards grabbed the ex rulers of Narnia and began to drag them separate ways.

“Let her go!” Caspain screamed as he fought harder.

“Caspian! Stop, there’s nothing you can do. It’s over.” she added quietly.