Chapter 9

I broke from the kiss and sat up, shocked besides Xan. I could hear all of his thoughts ringing in my mind. It was overwhelming.

Wow. I can't believe it finally happened. She remembers. Zatti you remember! It gave me a headache having that extra voice there. One I couldn't control. I put my hands over my ears knowing that it wouldn't help. His thoughts kept bombarding my head with not only his running thoughts, but his memories and feelings. I crunched my knees to my chest and rested my forehead on my knees.

"What's happening?" I shouted, trying to make my voice louder than the running commentary on my head.

"I think your Yarian part is starting to take over. You can hear me. That means whatever part of your humanness that was standing in the way, has now moved aside."

"It's so loud!" I shouted in his face.

"I know honey. Just for now, give it a day and you'll get used to it. You'll learn how to shut it out when you don't want to hear it." He sat up beside me, slid his arm around me, and kissed my forehead. I smiled.

"Thanks, I needed that."

"We should get you home, you can sleep a bit, and that should help calm things a bit."

"Ok. I hope it does." He helped me up, and we walked slowly in silence back to my house. "So this changes things doesn't it?"

"I guess. If you're ready for things to change."

I paused a minute and thought about his comment. Was I ready to accept my future, weirdness and all? The fact was I was undoubtedly in love with him. It was hard to imagine my life before him. I guess that was my answer.

"You know what, I think I am." I smiled.

We reached my door and I yawned. Xan unlocked the door, picked me up and carried me up to my room. He tucked the blankets in tight around me and kissed my forehead.

"Good night my love," he said as he closed my door and headed down the stairs.

My eyes were already closed by the time I heard the door shut quietly behind him. I could still hear his thoughts in my head. They mostly centered on how beautiful and peaceful I looked laying in my bed. I tried to ignore the voices, but they demanded they be heard. So, instead I tried the opposite, listening intently to Xan's thoughts.

GOAL! I could see the football fly across the TV screen downstairs. It was obvious that Xan was watching a game. The game droned on and eventually I fell asleep, Xan's thoughts slowly silencing in my head.

The red mesa rose royally above the crimson red river. I sat upon it, staring out over the river. The wind tousled my long dark curly hair and kissed my cheek. It was early morning, and the moons were setting behind me. I could see the sun start to rise subtly in the horizon blazing the sky in ribbons of orange and red. I could hear Xan's thoughts. He was coming up behind me.

"Hi love." His thoughts rang as his arms slipped around my shoulders as he sat beside me admiring the view.

"Hi Xan." I turned my head to him, and received him with a kiss.

"I have news." He stared into my eyes.

"Oh yeah? What could it be? Perhaps about a conversation with my mom and brother?"

"You saw?" He questioned me

"Yeah." I admitted.

"I tried to block it from you. I guess it's impossible."