Chapter XXXVIII

~Monday 29th January 2018~

"Well, if you don't want to cook dinner-" Dakota chuckled at Akos' tone, shaking his head as he watched the building pass by through the windows of the car. Dakota couldn't imagine Vasile ever talking to him like that, speaking to him as though he was a child, yet it seemed to resonate well with Mylo, so he made no comment on their exchange. They had opted to take Vasile's range rover, rather than Akos' sports car, and Dakota preferred it that way. They were less conspicuous that way. Although, the difference wasn't too extensive really.

"I never said I didn't want to cook," Mylo corrected swiftly, poking Akos' arm as he did so, "I said I didn't want to cook a lasagne. There's so many calories in it," Mylo was whining by this point, pouting at his lover, even though Akos didn't look any closer to giving in on the subject than he had fifteen minutes ago. Dakota was used to this type of conversation by this point, and he had noticed that Akos had begun looking to him to ensure that he was making the right decision in continuing with arguing against his boyfriend. As if Dakota actually knew the best way to deal with this. Apparently he was seen as some sort of oracle now because he could talk therapy with the gargoyles and had actually been able to get through to Mylo with his eating.

"Sweetpea, Dakota said lasagne was a good idea for dinner, so either you're cooking it or I will. It's your choice," Mylo's pout turned into a scowl as he began to sulk, crossing his arms over his chest dramatically and glowering out of the window. With a pleading glance from Akos in the rearview mirror, Dakota put down his phone and leant forward, resting his chin on Mylo's seat so he was close to the boy and could, somewhat, see his expression better now with how he had wedged himself up against the car door.

"The mince is very lean, Mylo, V and I got it directly from the butchers," Dakota began to explain, knowing that Mylo fared better with what he ate when he could be sure that it wasn't full of fat, "the cheese is low fat, and we aren't even using cream for the sauce. Even though it tastes better with it," Dakota added the final part under his breath, seeing the smile twitch at the corners of Akos' mouth, signalling that he had definitely picked up on that comment, "the pasta is fresh, everything is organic and low calorie, alright? There aren't any unnecessary fats in there, everything will be good. Protein, dairy, carbs, you need all that. You're doing good, Mylo, you have to get used to eating more than just rabbit food," Dakota had found that, despite all Akos warned him against, Mylo actually responded very well to humour. He could see the beginnings of a smile creeping onto the boy's face as he finally nodded, no longer looking so daunted at the prospect of their dinner.

"Are you sure this is OK, De? I don't want to intrude," of course, the subject was changed swiftly enough. And Dakota thought Vasile was one for asking the same question over and over. Mylo hadn't stopped ever since Dakota had broached the idea of taking him to see Kalvin with him. It was foreign to Dakota, he had never had anyone sit in on his sessions before, however, it seemed like the kind of thing Mylo might need. Dakota never had the option to watch someone else work through their problems in a healthy manner before he was forced into doing the same. Sometimes, seeing someone else's progress was a good starting point.

"Mylo, as long as you stay quiet, I promise you, I will forget you're even there. It's like a whole different world in that office, it's calm, and safe, and we'll both be fine," Dakota returned to his seat once again, sending a brief text to Vasile to remind him that there was a painting drying on the balcony outside his bedroom and to bring it inside should it start to rain. He wouldn't be too angry if Vasile were to forget, it wasn't anything serious, just something the man had been asking for, for a little while. He even added an afterthought warning Vasile not to look at the picture unnecessarily or he definitely wouldn't be pleased. He wanted to be there when Vasile first saw it, he liked to see the surprise on his face.