Savior

scevin (scott & kevin - friendship)

Kevin yawned, having been working in the hospital for over 30 hours without any sleep. He was beyond happy to be going home. Getting into his car, he turned on the heat, waiting for it warm, for it was below 35°F outside. A comforting warmth flooded the vehicle, making him put his car in reverse, leaving the hospital parking lot.

He tiredly drove down 6 blocks to his apartment, fairly quickly, simply wanting to get some sleep before his next shift. He must have not been paying attention, because when he came face to face with a tall blonde walking directly to his vehicle, he slammed on his brakes abruptly.

Getting out of the car, Kevin squinted, looking at the man. "Hey, are you okay?" He spoke loudly. The man looked disoriented, not responding.

Kevin sighed, closing his door, walking to the blonde. He touched the man on the shoulder, "Are you okay?"

The blonde jumped back, startled from his touch and nodded quickly, "I'm fine." His voice was shaking, as if he had been crying, but he couldn't tell because the man was wearing sunglasses.

"You look a little shaken up. Are you lost?" He asked, backing up so he didn't feel uncomfortable.

The man nodded again, shyly putting his hands in his pockets. "I uh, went for a walk, but I guess I went too far because this place doesn't seem familiar at all."

"Well, that's okay. I can take you home. Do you know the address?"

"No... I don't have an address." He spoke quickly, not wanting Kevin to pity him.

"You're homeless?" Kevin asked, sympathetically.

He nodded, looking away. "Um, I'm sorry for bothering you. I'm sure you have somewhere important to go to."

Kevin cut him off shaking his head, "No I was just going home. Come on, I'll get you something to eat."

"You don't have to." He scratched the back of his neck.

"I want to." Kevin stated, "Come on, my car is back there." He pointed to his vehicle, starting to walk to it.

He stopped once the man cleared his throat, "Um, where?... Can you lead me to it?" He was afraid to even ask.

That's when it hit him. He's blind you idiot. That explains the glasses. Kevin's eyes widened. "Uh, yeah I can." He said, grabbing his arm.

He gave a small, "Thank you." as he let Kevin take him to the car.

Once they were both inside the vehicle, Kevin cleared his throat, "What's your name?" He asked him.

"Scott. What's yours?" He asked, staring ahead.

"Kevin. Where would you like to eat?" He started driving, turning back towards town.

"I don't know what they have here." Scott told him.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry... Um, do you like pizza? Burgers? Tacos?" He listed off popular food items that the local restaurants sold.

Scott shrugged, "Pizza sounds fine." Kevin smiled, making his way to the restaurant.

The two made small talk as they ate their food, enjoying each other's company. Kevin spoke up, wanting to get to know more about Scott.

"So, when did you become homeless?" He knew that he could have worded it better, but he had already said it.

Scott laughed a little, "Way to rip the bandaid off." Kevin cringed at his own bluntness.

"Two years ago, I was attending UCLA with a major in Music Composition. Um, my parents couldn't afford to pay for it anymore so I got kicked out. I moved in with my now ex-boyfriend a few months after seeing as I wanted to stay in LA instead of moving back to Texas. Everything was going great until he started lying to me about where he was going and coming home at ungodly hours of the night. I confronted him about it one night and he insisted that he wasn't cheating or doing anything wrong, so I just dropped it not wanting to cause anymore problems. On the last date we went on, I fell asleep in the car , but then I woke up on a bench in the middle of the night with no idea where I was." He sighed, remembering the event.

"That's awful, Scott. I can't believe that idiot would do that to you." Kevin shook his head.

He shrugged, "It's fine. I won't have to see him ever again, so I am content in knowing that." Scott told him.

"Yeah I guess that's one good thing that came out of it." Kevin stated.

"Two good things." Scott corrected, making Kevin furrow his brows.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"You helped me. That's the other good thing." Scott said smiling.

Kevin smiled widely, looking down as if to hide it from Scott. "Yeah. I did."

"Thank you." Scott told him.

"Don't thank me. It's the least I can do." He mentioned.

"Well, I guess I better get going." Scott mumbled, standing up from the table.

"Where are you going?" Kevin asked, grabbing his arm.

"I need to go find somewhere to stay for the night before it gets dark. Bad people like to roam around at night." He told him, quietly.

"You're not going back out there." Kevin shook his head. "I won't let you."

"Kevin.. thank you for caring, but I don't have anywhere else to go." He explained.

"Yes you do. You can stay at my house." Kevin told him.

"I can't do that.." Scott trailed off, looking down.

"Please, Scott. I can't let you just go back out there knowing that something bad could happen to you." Kevin pleaded.

Scott sighed, going quiet for a moment before nodding. "Okay.."

"Okay." Kevin smiled a little, letting go of Scott's arm. They left the restaurant, making their way to Kevin's house.

While in the car, Scott sighed. Kevin looked over at him, worried that something was wrong.

"Kevin?" He asked, looking in his direction.

"Yeah?" Kevin continued to look at him.

"Thank you." He smiled.

"For what?" He furrowed his brows.

"Rescuing me."